Help recommend an annual program?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MrC, Mar 30, 2007.

1. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

What consumer lawn program would you recommend? My local nursery carried Greenview and praised it over Scotts all the time. It seemed to work better than the Scotts that I purchased at Home Depot. To be fair, when I first moved in the lawn was horrible. The Greenview is a two step annual program. Now my nursery who swore off Scotts is now carrying Scotts Lawn Pro. Are these programs all the same?

2. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

One word for you, LESCO

3. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Newbie here so please excuse my ignorance. I found a local Lesco dealer, so what do I need to know before going there and buying the weed and feed (ex. grass type) Is there a general Lesco fertilizer that would apply like the Scotts step 1. I've seen the name Dimension over and over but there are probably 20 different kinds. I know I should do a soil test through my county but I don't know how long that would take and I don't want to apply a weed and feed to late.

4. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

I would head over to Lesco, they can set you up on a fertilizer plan for the entire year for the zone where you live. I have a printout of what fertilizer to apply and what month to apply. This way given to me by my local Lesco dealer. I would ask them about the soil sample because they can handle that for you too. I think the fee is like $25 or something like that. If you look around at local landscaping companies, a majority of them use Lesco products. That should be proof in the pudding just by knowing the pros use it. Hope this helps and sorry if I came off alittle harsh earlier.....

5. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Not a problem and thanks for the help. I know at my local nursery if you don't know everything about your lawn they get annoyed. I just wanted to make sure I had all the info they needed to prescibe a proper plan.

6. WildRover

WildRover LawnSite Member

If you want to save some money on the soil test send your sample to the local Univirsity CoOp program. I know the turnaround at the University of NH is 7 days and is around $15 per sample.

7. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

WildRover, I think my nursery said that the county will send the samples to Rutgers. I just have to see if I can find the county number or something online directly to Rutgers.

I called my local Lesco dealer, unknowingly after store hours but the manager (Steve) answered because he thought I was his wife calling. It was well after closing but he was more than happy and excited to talk about my lawn. Now I didn't understand most of it but I'm going in next week with my notepad ready to go. He recommended Dimension 19-0-6 and told me to get my lawn mower ready. He recommended two products but knowing me I'm probably going to walk buying a lot of stuff.

8. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

The 19-0-6 is a fertilizer with a pre emergent for crabgrass. I am using it for the first time this year myself. Do you plan on seeding??? If so you should seed first and then wait about 6 weeks before putting that stuff down. If you put it down first you will have to wait about 6 months before you can seed.

9. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I wanted to seed some bare spots (mole tunnels), but I don't want the crabgrass to take over my lawn like it did two years ago. Seed and risk crabgrass or deal with bare spots?!?!?!?! I'm gonna get that mole this year!!!

10. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

You can seed now and once it has germinated (5-6 weeks) then you can apply the crab grass pre m.