1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help removing a wheel from spindle / axle with keyway

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tron, Jul 15, 2010.

1. tron

tron LawnSite Member
    from GRR

Thanks all for the suggestions. Today is a new day and we'll see if we can persuade the thing to come off without destroying anything in the process.
  2. tron

tron LawnSite Member
    from GRR

I believe in the power of PBlaster. Last night before bed, I gave the keyway and spindle another serious soaking of PBlaster, and it seemed to help quite a bit.

I'm posting the aftermath here just in case other non-mechanical types (like me) run into this situation. I first used the suggestion Ruben gave and used a large socket, fit over the axle and gave the wheel a few strong hits.

I then grabbed the tire while still on the ground and rocked the thing back and forth and side to side. Then I raised the mower and started pulling, and off it came - slicker than goat snot. :clapping:

In the first post, I mentioned the brake band needed a replacement, so I thought I'd show you why:

The inner material became unglued from the band and wasn't very effective:

You can see how much rust had gathered and then was 'melted' by the PBlaster and why the wheel was resistant to being removed:

And how much rust was inside the wheel:

I cleaned everything out as best I could, and used some steel wool to remove the rust from the spindle and from inside the wheel. I then gave it a liberal soaking of white lithium grease to make things easier the next time.

So - what did I learn? Preventative Maintenance (PM) is your friend, PBlaster is great stuff, and ask people that know more than you how to proceed before you screw things up.

Thanks again folks - I really appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice on what to you is probably a simple and routine occurrence - but to me, it's one of those 'now what the heck' things.

Again :Thumbs Up:
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ohhh yeah, that...

I would have said something but I failed to make the connection.

Half the time your old brake band is snagging up the wheel some kind of way,
    usually when I have to remove a rim from the axle I am playing with the brake
    control rod and back and forth on that and usually it will come right off.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Guess it might be a good idea to put anti-seize on both of them?