1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help! Removing rear wheels...

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by jajwrigh, Dec 15, 2004.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I have a Metro 36" and two flat rear tires. How do I remove them? Are they attached to some things or what? Seems strange but I didn't want to screw anything up by ripping them off in a hurry!
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Removal of the rear drive wheels on a Metro can often be a frustrating undertaking. All you need to do is remove the "C" clip from the axle shaft. Then remove the wheel spacers/washers and then the frustrating part begins. Then if you hold your mouth just right, with your head at just the right angle, have been good all year and refrain from throwing anything in frustration it slides right of.......maybe. The last one I removed wasn't that bad. It was on a 32" or 36", I don't recall which. I had drained the gas and oil so that I could flip the mower onto its side. This seamed to help the cause quite a bit. I suspect it had something to do with the axle shaft and some slight where on the shaft. Once the shaft gets a slight groove in it I suspect that gravity allows the bearing to rest in the groove making removal difficult. Once the machine was on its side it seamed to come off much more quickly.

Just don't be tempted to go crazy with a hammer. The wheel may need some persuasion from with a hammer and block of wood but like I said don't go nuts with it.

Good luck,

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I removed the rear wheels on my 36" Metro to change the brake bands and while I was at it, pack the wheel bearings. I used a floor jack to lift one side at a time. If you are the least bit uncomfortable about this procedure, do yourself a favor and take it to your dealer.