Help removing Tank Deck Blades!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bcsman, Dec 23, 2006.

1. bcsman

bcsman LawnSite Member
    from MI

Trying to remove the blades from my M60 Tank and having trouble. The bolts or nuts won't budge! My question for anyone having an M60 Tank--are the 1 1/8" nuts left or right hand threads??? I have removed the deck for easier access. Thanks for any assistance!!

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I used to have a tank. They were normal threads (turn left to loosen). Sometimes I had to run the impact wrench on bottom and then on top of the spindle to get them to budge.

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

wow, thats alot of work to change the blades, hoist it up and use jack stands.... and an impact wrench is the only way to get them off easy, every time, an electric will do if you dont have a compressor.....:)

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Get a good impact wrench & it should take them right off.

5. bcsman

bcsman LawnSite Member
    from MI

Have used my air impact wrench and borrowed my buddies electric industrial impact and they won't budge!! The electric really packs a punch also. Also tried a 3/4" breaker bar. Have soaked them with WD40 and still no luck. That's why I asked if anyone knew if they were left handed 'cuz so far they aren't moving right handed!

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

They are normal threads. Turn to the left and they should come off. Why did you take the deck off??? We have three of them and just use a chain hoist.

7. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

i have a m-60 and had the same problem.to get them off you need a wrench on top letting it brace against anything solid.then take a socket and a breaker bar with a cheater pipe on it. lefty loosy,righty tity.when i put mine back on,i run em on with an impact wrench just until the wrench starts hammering.trust me they wont slip.i change mine twice a week with no problems.the center one gives me trouble every once in a while.let me know how it turns out

8. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

you may have to heat them with a torch if they are really tight

9. bcsman

bcsman LawnSite Member
    from MI

dcondon--Figured I could get at them easier with the deck removed!

rider--I have a propane torch, do I have to get them redhot to work or just warmed up??

Thanks for the ideas will try some more tomorrow!!

10. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Try hot then red hot, if you have to get them red hot I would replace them