Help renovating CT lawn. Power rake/Aerator or both?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by dschribs, Apr 3, 2008.

1. dschribs

dschribs LawnSite Member

I need to reseed the majority of my backyard. The dead grass is still there and I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to leave it there and then just seed over it.

I was thinking of renting a power rake, going over all the dead grass, raking it all up, seeding then dressing with peat.

Is that a good plan? Should i use an aerator instead of a power rake? Maybe aerate and then power rake after? Basically I'm just trying to find out the best way to get rid of the dead grass and prepare the area for seed?

Thanks!!

Dan

2. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Can you post close up pictures of the turf?

:waving:

3. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

Where in ct are you? I would do both and then topdress with compost, I havent had good luck with peat.

4. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Do a soil test to see what you need to feed the new plants and test for Thatch to see how much you have. Less than 3/8 inch prepare to go, more than 1/2 inch remove it with a good quality dethatching machine.

Less than 3/8 or after thatch is removed. Aerate the devil out of it get 9 or more holes per sq ft. Then spread your seed as needed and use the dethatcher to cut the seed in mixing what grass is left witha the seed, dirt and broken up cores. It is really best to have some of the grass cover there to hide the seed (from birds and UV) and to shelter the new plants. Water as per required.

Check with your local Turfgrass college extension agents. They can help with the soil analysis, right seed, fert and water program.