Lawn Care Forum banner

Help repair on craftsman LT2000

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  scag2015 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! So I'm a little stumped here:/ was working on a craftsman lt2000 lawn tractor for a friend. Here are some details, then the problem...
So it was stored with fuel in it for over a year, so obliviously carb issues. Also needed a new battery.
So first I rebuilt the carb. Replaced old brittle fuel lines, fuel shutoff valve, and fuel filter. And replaced the plunger gassket on the fuel solenoid etc.
So I went to jump start it to test it out and it started right up! I'd run it for a couple minutes (around half + throttle then try to bring it up to full speed and it would kill itself. But at halff+ throttle it was all perfect, engaged the blades, shifted gears and ran it etc.
So today I go and replace the battery and it was having a hard time starting, sometimes it would start and run for a few seconds then die. (like its staving for fuel) then sometimes it started and ran for a couple minutes, then I'd try to shift gears, or throttle up and it would die.
So I was thinking the fuel solenoid was crapping out on me. (Because it mostly was inconsistent when it would die except when it got under load it would always die) So I deleted it by removing the plunger gasket and cutting of the plunger.
Put it all back together and it's doing the same thing! Except will only run for a couple of seconds like its starving for fuel once again. Still hard to start as well. Only if I leave it for a while it will start up.
Everything still sounds like carb issues, so I might try cleaning it again?:/
Ps. Noticed a little smoke coming back out of the air intake and the muffler.
Any ideas? Thank you all so much!!
Posted via Mobile Device

See less See more
#3 ·
Did you replace the fuel filter?

What's the Sears 917.xxxxxx number?
Yes, I was thinking it might have an issue there. It's not an OEM filter and I've heard that these things hate non OEM filters:/
Gonna stick the old one back on and see what she does:) thx
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
Fresh fuel is cleaning it for you LOL. You may not be able to clean it. How many times are you going to do the same repair? Inlet needle seat, if equipped, might be swollen. Was the float somewhat level when you took it apart? If the seat is swollen, adjusting the float wont help.

#7 ·
When you said you rebuilt the carb did you take the seat out and do a good soaking ? Welch plugs taken out ?

Soaked in cleaner overnight ?

If it's been sisitting that long I take the plugs out and put new ones.

Reactions: ericg
#8 ·
Fresh fuel is cleaning it for you LOL. You may not be able to clean it. How many times are you going to do the same repair? Inlet needle seat, if equipped, might be swollen. Was the float somewhat level when you took it apart? If the seat is swollen, adjusting the float wont help.
No rubber seat on that one.

#11 ·
When you said you rebuilt the carb did you take the seat out and do a good soaking ? Welch plugs taken out ?

Soaked in cleaner overnight ?

If it's been sisitting that long I take the plugs out and put new ones.
Yeah no seat on this carb. Did soak it overnight, carb cleaner, and compressed air a couple times. Yep, new plug as well:) anyways, got it fixed! Gas cap didn't vent correctly, and the float bowl gasket (new) had swollen.
Works perfect now except for the crazy loose deck belt apparently. Got cracks it it as well and it's smoking:/ tired of this little tractor:) haha, nah only have about 1 hr working on it:) thx much!
Posted via Mobile Device

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.