1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help repairing lawn that has or had fungus?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by m0i0k0e, Jul 14, 2005.

1. m0i0k0e

m0i0k0e LawnSite Member

My new tall fescue lawn has been taken over by brown patch. I purchased a scotts brand fungicide and treated my lawn 2 weeks ago, but I don't know what to do next? Should I retreat in a week or so with the same product? Or should I rake up all of the dead or dying grass and try to reseed those areas?
    Or just wait untill fall and aerate and reseed?

My yard is a little over a year old. In Aprill it looked great, but then I think I made every mistake in the book.

1. I watered late when I got home from work! :(
    2. I fertilized in the fall with scotts, then I re fertilized my new lawn in the spring with scotts. Too much nitrogen?
    3. I I noticed that my grass had a few brown spots so I watered it every day when I could, and guess what? The spots increased!!
    4. I have been using mulching blades and spreading throughout my yard.

Thanks for you help!
  2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Not really a cool grass guy but here goes. Brown spot is bought on by improper watering and trowing n on it is like pouring gas on a fire. Water first thing in the morning. That way it can soak in an dry by the evening. Also only water when the grass needs it. Rake up the dead grass and either do a hail mary and reseed or wait for it to fill in. Now is not the best time to reseed. Bad thing is that bare ground this time of year tends to go to weeds. If the spots are not too big might even think of pulling sprigs from the healthy part and plug it. Hope some of the guys from your neck of the woods respond

Good Luck
  3. m0i0k0e

m0i0k0e LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply Rhett.

Oddly enough, I raked up all of the dead stuff yesterday and reseeding may work, but it's just so hot now. I noticed that the fungus was actually still there, so I sprayed it with a fungicide again, and I am going to water it 3 times this week in the morning before work. We are also expecting temps near 100 degrees this week in Maryland!! :-(

I would like to know more about transplanting. That sounds interesting.

Thanks again.
  4. br1dge

br1dge LawnSite Member

Most fungicides are ineffective at temps above 90. Furthermore, applying them at high temps will cause further damage to fescue. At 100, the fescue is toast anyway. I would mow farily low, bag the grass, and soak it in Daconil equivalent on the collest possible day (apply at night)

Best of luck
  5. m0i0k0e

m0i0k0e LawnSite Member

That would explain why when I went out this morning I could still see that faint "cotton like" ring (fungus) that still remains around a few affected areas. I agree, fescue is pretty much toast at those temps, but we have only had it a few days. I guess I was hoping to get rid of the fungus and attempt to get my yard back this in the next few weeks. :(

I have never cut my yard lower than the highest setting on my mower. Will cutting it low completely destroy my lawn. I would thing that the grass that appears to be OK would have problems being cut so low all of the sudden?

Also, if I treat all of my lawn do I still have to bag it. I'm talking more than an acre of my property is cleared. :(

Finally, where do I get this "Daconil" from? I am only a homeowner and I know some stuff you have to have some sort of a license to purchase it right?

Thanks again.
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Also you should disinfect your mowers deck and blades with,bleach,rubbing alcohol,listerine,or any spray on disinfectant before or after every mow to keep from spreading it around,also do your rake and the shoes you use when you mow.