1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help replacing B&S recoil starter rope

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dfcanuck, Oct 7, 2006.

1. dfcanuck

dfcanuck LawnSite Member

For something that should be so easy, I'm having a hell of a time trying to replace the starter rope for an older briggs/stratton push mower. The recoil starter gear assembly is part number BSP-299948. I cant see how to replace the starter rope - there is about 18 inches of the old rope left (attached to the pulley). I can see how the old rope goes in a hole at the centre of the pulley and that there is a knot behind to hold it. However, the pulley looks like it is all one piece, and I cant see anywhere behind the hole to tie the knot. I phoned a local repair shop and they wanted about $35 to replace the rope! Any idea's? Just pay the $35? I'm thinking there must be a special technique for getting the old rope out and a new one in?
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If the rope broke and wound up inside the housing you need to rotate the pulley counterclockwise and try to snag the end of the rope with a pic or needle nose pliers right where the rope eyelet is in the housing.

Once you get a hold of the rope pull it until all the rope is un-wound off the pulley then grab the pulley so it doesn't wind the rope back in. Grab the knot in the pulley with your needle nose pliers and pull the rope out.

Once the rope is out continue to rotate the pulley counterclockwise until it gets tight and align the hole in the pulley with the hole in the housing.
    Feed the new rope through the holes and tie a knot in the pulley end, Hold the rope tight so it doesn't get wound up on the pulley without the handle in place.

Just to let you know, This one is easier done than said......

Good Luck
  3. dfcanuck

dfcanuck LawnSite Member

about a half hour after I posted my question - I finally noticed that the end of the rope (with the knot, behind the pulley hole) could be grabbed from the backside if I rotated the rope and pushed it a bit - the end was hiding under the gear that grabs the flywheel. After that, it was a piece of cake to pull old rope out and add new one. Thanks for your reply.