Help!!! Scag electrical Question.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SoloSulkySurfer, Apr 22, 2008.

1. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

Oh what a day. I have an 2005 scag tiger cub and it keeps blowing the top fuse (theirs 2 20amp fuses this one is next to the seat above the other). What kind of things should I be looking at. Any help is very much appreciated.

Some extra info: Machine has 318 hours. The first time it just died while cutting, put a new fuse in and it started fine I trailered it and ran it at another house for 10 minutes. Died again this time replaced the fuse and went a few feet and it died again. All the times that it died the clutch was engaged, but I didnt actually run it long without clutch engaged so I dont know if that means anything or not.

2. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

Do you still have the owners manual to see what the fuse does?

3. SoloSulkySurfer

yep attached from PTO to seat switch to engine adapter harness.

4. SoloSulkySurfer

My best guess is its the ignition switch so Im gonna pick up a new one today. Is this common?

5. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds to me like you have a direct short to ground. Trace the wires from the fuse to PTO and to the seat switch. I don't think it's the ignition switch unless it's blowing the fuse when you cut the switch on. Like I said trace the wires as much as possible to check for a cut that is laying on metal.

6. SoloSulkySurfer

Thanks mhussey

We tried to inspect the wiring yesterday didnt see any damage, but will have to look again. I also think that its a short. Cant the short occur within the ignition switch?

7. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

somewhere that wire is grounding out

8. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

yeah, the wire is grounding out somewhere. I'd check all wiring closely before I bought an ignition switch. connections and places where might be rubbing. check any holes the wire passes through and make sure grommets are intact.

9. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Well I wouldn't think so, being it will start, and you said the fault occurs when you engage your PTO not when you cut the ignition switch on. I would check the whole run really well. From one point to the other. Check your fuse block real well, dirt will cause creepage. If you see any dirt build up anywhere clean it off. It would be hard to check with a Ohm meter, but if you could that would be the best bet of saying you have a short somewhere in the system.

It seems like your able you change the fuse, and it does run a while. That makes me think it's a wire more over a component. If a component was defective most the time it will short immediately. Where yours does run a while then blows. Like it takes a while for the wire to jostle around and make connection to ground.

10. JimMac

JimMac LawnSite Member

I wonder if the fan that cools the clutch/wheel moters/etc. is defective?
    That would cause your components to overheat and blow fuses. I think something is overheating to cause fuse failure.