Help!!! Scag Turf Runner gearbox

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bay de Noc Lawn Car, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Bay de Noc Lawn Car LawnSite Member

This past summer I purchased a Scag Turf Runner off ebay. Big mistake. With even a few leaves on the ground I would have to double cut just to make it look nice. So I had decided to sell it when boom! The two gears on the left side of the deck drive sheared some teeth. :realmad:

I'm thinkin of buying a New John Deere F687 60'' with bagger to replace, but I need to sell this first.

Dealer wants $950 for a new gearbox, tried going through Curtis Machine(the manufacture of the gearbox) for parts. They no longer have any gears that will fit because scag changed the gear ratios.

Does any one have an old gearbox setting around? :help: :help:

2. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Anyone????????? :help:

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Well I don't have a gearbox but I thought I would give you my opinion of the matter. I would say to just replace the gearbox and then sell it but I don't know what the machine is worth. You still would be better off to fix it and get rid of it now or in the spring than to try to find another gearbox. It would probibly take you a while if you did try to find one.

4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I feel for you, that machine has to be one of the most problematic commercial mowers ever made. I wonder if that gearbox is the same as was used by Toro, walker, or one of the other major manufacturers. Maybe if it is the same, you might get a better deal on one though another manufacturer.

I feel for ya.
    Jay

PS. I would not consider keeping that unit under any circumstances.

5. CathyLynn

CathyLynn LawnSite Member

You have our deepest sympathy!

6. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Does anyone know of a mower boneyard?

7. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

I used to own a Turf-Runner. I know that those gearboxes cost alot of money. I bought one, and then had the broken one rebuilt. I believe that you could have it rebuilt for like $200.00
    Check around and call some scag places.

8. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

I can rebuild it myself. I just need two little gears!

9. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

I will see if I can find out where to get them! I will PM you tomorrow

10. mrgreeninc

mrgreeninc LawnSite Member

I might have the gears that you are looking for. I have an old gear box that is for parts off of a turf runner. It is the black gear box or the silver gear box?