Help!!! Scag Turf Tiger versus Hustler SuperZ

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by exnuc85, May 24, 2007.

1. exnuc85

exnuc85 LawnSite Member

I am ready to buy a commercial mower for my 6 acres of rough ground. I have already beaten 3 riders to death.

I have narrowed my search down between a new 2005 Scag Turf Tiger with 29 Liquid Cool Kawasaki with EFI and Suspension Seat ($9400), and a 2007 Super Z with a 26 HP Liquid Cool Kawasaki with XR7 deck and Suspension Seat for $8600).

The selling points of the Scag seem to be direct drive to the mower versus belt, and better quality mower spindles (timkin roller bearings, etc). I was told the Hustler has a lower center of gravity.

I am at the paralysis by analysis stage right now. Can anyone provide opinions/information that will help me move one way or the other?

Thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Both are good units, what comes into the decision is how you feel on each of them.
    Deck drive via a drive shaft is expensive when it comes to maintenance and possible component failure, drive shaft and gearbox replacement along with gearbox oil changes get expensive.
    Demo both and decide, you will find the Hustler to drive smoother operate easier and yes, have a lower center of gravity, which all results in better handling and more comfortable operation.
    Both have cast iron spindles, one has Timken bearings, one doesnt... ours has been in service for about 30 years or so, it is proven and it works very well.
    You will find the Hustler to have a better warranty, larger pumps and wheel motors, more fuel capacity and a suspension seat std.
    All things to consider.
    Hope this helps.

Pj

3. mulligant

mulligant LawnSite Member

If you are mowing rough ground like you said such as former cow pastures you will find that the Super Z will ride much smoother than the Scag. The Scag has flat free front tires which dramatically make the ride rougher. The Hustler has air filled front tires that are filled with slime from the factory and that makes for a better ride and will prevent most flats. Also, Hustler offers flex forks and the flex seat to give it an even better ride. I have both accessories on my Hustler and I must say that as far as ride is concerned the Hustler is the clear winner to me. In your case the Hustler is less expensive than the Scag also and the 26 hp should be enough power for weekly cuts.

4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Why not go 28efi if you buy the super z? Most here would recommend it, you'll get added power and fuel economy and (arguably) the same longevity as an LQ

5. exnuc85

exnuc85 LawnSite Member

The main reason I was considering a LC was the price....for some reason they are knocking $1200 off of the price of the LC, which makes it the cheapest Super Z the dealer carries. So if I went with any other engine, from the 27 Kohler on up, it is more money.

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Check with the dealer on his spring special pricing on larger hp if you want it.
    If he doesn't have it in stock he can get it from our regional warehouse pretty quickly.

Pj