Help!!! Scag Turf Tiger versus Hustler SuperZ

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by exnuc85, May 24, 2007.

1. exnuc85

exnuc85 LawnSite Member

I am ready to buy a commercial mower for my 6 acres of rough ground. I have already beaten 3 riders to death.

I have narrowed my search down between a new 2005 Scag Turf Tiger with 29 Liquid Cool Kawasaki with EFI and Suspension Seat ($9400), and a 2007 Super Z with a 26 HP Liquid Cool Kawasaki with XR7 deck and Suspension Seat for $8600).

The selling points of the Scag seem to be direct drive to the mower versus belt, and better quality mower spindles (timkin roller bearings, etc). I was told the Hustler has a lower center of gravity.

I am at the paralysis by analysis stage right now. Can anyone provide opinions/information that will help me move one way or the other?

Thanks

2. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, I have now owned a machine from both compaines, I feel I can provide some different angles. If I were in yuor situation, I would definitly go scag. The "lower center of gravity" is bull. Scag mounts the gas tank beneath the seat, which is centered on the machine. The hustler in comparison with the scag I have now, cannot hold hills close to what the scag will do. I have mowed down some pretty steep banks with the hustler, and I was always impressed with the way the machine did on hills, but without a doubt, the scag is better on hills. The shaft driven deck is pretty sweet to. I have a TT 27 Kohler, 52" velocity plus, and this machine is tough, no doubt. I like how tough the machine is though, and how all the essential moving parts have zerts, for greasing, unlike the Hustler did. Does the scag you are looking at have the velocity plus deck? That deck is simply amazing. With the hustler "non xr-7" it would clump, and wouldnt disperse clippings very well. This is the opposite with the velocity. It also has way more vacuum.

Dont get me wrong, the hustler was a good mower in comparison with what I had before I boguht that machine, but after owning the scag, I honestly think the TT is a better machine

Let me know if you have any specific questions

3. exnuc85

exnuc85 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help. I'm not sure about the velocity deck. The Scag I'm looking at is a 2005 model.....did they have the velocity deck on that model year?

4. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Both Mowers are excellent machines,the 2005 scag how many hours on that Z ?? for $9400. The super Z we have is Very well built never sat on a Scag. There are many crews here that run both of the ZTR'S .See If you can demo them.

5. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

probably has the advantage deck..im not sure though. I have no experience with the advantage, although I havent heard any compliants about them. Search the forums, (in the search box) just type in turf tiger, or scag in general, then type in hustler, or XR-7 and see what you find, I believe that you will find there are very very few complaints, if any about scags, and more about hustler...

6. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

IM not 100 percent sure about this but i have heard hustlers have a hard time jumping curbs. The major selling point to a scag is the blade spindles there is absolutely nothing tougher.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Scag----in this toss up:)

8. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

Dane Scag makes the best commercial mower outside of Bob walker. So, go with the scag!

9. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats ironic is dan scag sold scag and now owns hustler. lol

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Dane sold scag before most where born here:laugh: :waving: