help seed weed and feed and lime

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by *Brett*, Jun 5, 2010.

1. *Brett*

*Brett* LawnSite Member
    from Howell

I need to seed, weed and feed and put lime down. Which order would i do this?

2. sweetjetskier

sweetjetskier LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly........
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

What state are you located in?
    Have you done soil tests to determine how much lime per thousand you need?
    Do you need to apply Dolomitic or High-Cal lime?
    Do you leave or collect grass clippings?
    What type of grass do you have?
    Is your property shaded or sunny?
    Do you have irrigation?

4. *Brett*

*Brett* LawnSite Member
    from Howell

Located in NJ
    Yes I know how much lime is needed.
    Dolomitic Lime
    Dont collect.
    Mostly perennial blue rye
    Most parts are sunny. Couple shaded parts.
    Yes I have irrigation

5. *Brett*

*Brett* LawnSite Member
    from Howell

actually its calcitic lime

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

It is best to not apply weed killer to new grass until it is about 6 weeks after planting. You don't mention if you have any grass at all at present or if it is a new or established lawn. My opinion--general rule--seed plus starter fertilizer at the same time. 6 weeks later mature enough for the weed n feed. 2 weeks later you can add the lime. Normally you would not apply lime within 2 weeks of a fert application.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

It is best to not apply weed killer to new grass until it is about 6 weeks after planting. You don't mention if you have any grass at all at present or if it is a new or established lawn. My opinion--general rule--seed plus starter fertilizer at the same time. 6 weeks later mature enough for the weed n feed. 2 weeks later you can add the lime. Normally you would not apply lime within 2 weeks of a fert application.

8. *Brett*

*Brett* LawnSite Member
    from Howell

Sorry yes i have lawn now. During the fall I had to dig up my laundry well which was about a 10x 10' hole which is all clay now. I tried to plant seed there and its barely coming in. Also a huge section of my lawn died. The rest of my lawn is fine. Just having problems with those 2 sections

The seed i used some scotts seed which was supposed to be 99% weed free wasnt and most of the seed that took is weeds. thats why i bought the weed and feed. I figured itd kill the weeds and make the clay more nutritious since that clay is rock hard now.

But that sounds good seed with the starter fert. then weed and feed then the lime.

Thanks for the input

9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

This fact sheet from Rutgers should be of help.

Attached Files:

10. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I know there are different thoughts on this, and I tend to think the opposite, but perhaps soil conditions affect the results. Why do you feel it needs the 2 week window. After all the fert will still be feeding in 2 weeks, and the lime will be working for months. Ive gone both ways and was curious to your reasoning.