1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help Seeding A Yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Infinite, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

My sister just built a new house in a rural area, farm surrounded. This spring she wants me to sit the 2.5 acres she lives on. I live in Ohio and I am going to use 50% rye 50% kentucky bluegrass. What is the absolute cheapest price I could give her with me making a little profit? Also what are the steps I use? Do I lay the seed, then lay straw overtop, and then fertilize or what? This is the first time I've done this type of work.
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

With those seed types , figure about 6-10# per 1000 square foot for new install, plus starter fertilizer, 40# bag for10-12K sqft. , and straw to cover it, around 90-100 bales. If the ground is already broken and rough graded, you can get by with a Bobcat and Harley rake to prep the seedbed.You still need a viable way to seed : large broadcast spreader, seed drill, hydroseeder, etc.. I know you want to help her, but if you don't have the knowledge and equipment to seed a 2.5acre lot, you'll be better off subbing it out or even calling a hydroseeding contractor to do it for you.
  3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I believe you will have almost $1500 in product (seed, straw and fert)

This might be too big of a property to try for a first time... sister or not. :)