1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help selecting an enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Dec 14, 2011.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Have narrowed down my wish list for an enclosed trailer to either a 7x12 or 7x14 size. I will not have to buy until next April so I have a little time to kick this around and get some prices. At any rate, here is what two dealers said so far:

1) Carry On 7x14 tandem axle, non V nose I believe, 6' height.
    $4,200 new

2) Featherlite aluminum 7x14' tandem axle, 6'6" height.
    $7,750 new

Lots of difference in prices I know, but Al costs way more and I realize I am paying for the featherlite name.
    Is Carry On something I really want to avoid when shopping?
    I want a trailer that will last me for 5-10 years at least, and will pay for up to a mid range trailer, don't want cheap junk.
    Any other brands I should check out?
    Is used a reliable way to go?
  2. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Stealth makes a good alum trailer (which is decent price), Haulmark is another brand I see alot of.

I would not buy a used trailer. You said it in your post you are looking for a 5 to 10 yr investment, why would you chance that purchase with used. A trailer that has been overloaded doesn't look different but stuff can bent and tweaked, making tires wear unevenly, or track differently.

Go spend some money on a decent trailer. Order it for what you want (color, axle, doors, height, rims, interior finish) and you will want to keep it for 5 to 10 yrs.
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

OK - so is a new Carry On trailer a feasible way to go then? Or should I go with the brands you mentioned? What are the middle-of-the road options? Don't necessarily want to go with featherlite due to the premium price tag.

We have pace enclosed trailers they are really rugged. Good luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

I have not heard of Carry-On trailers nor seen them. So I won't comment on them. Their specs seem ok but what the roof material they say I don't know about.

I mentioned this in another thread but call the guy in this craigslist ad. He is a customer of mine (I mow his house and biz) and then I became a customer of his. He seems to buy a high volume and good value on his products. A trailer dealer doesn't need to be very close as they don't have much issues and axle's are pretty universal.

I understand you don't want the wedge etc but look at the price (without the wedge would be much cheaper). I have looked at these and they are built well. Also 1/3 less weight of a steel trailer.

Maybe give him a call when you have a chance. Tell him what you want and he'll get some prices of different brands he carries. With the time frame you have he can order it with a stock order and maybe cut a price break there.

Also go with a screwless exterior (lettering is easier, not water marks from the rivets), upgrade the deck material so it's smooth waterproof composite material, side vents are nice so when you are driving down the road gas fumes, etc vent out of the trailer.
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Thanks for the reference, I briefly looked at his website, and it looks like you could pick up a nice 6x12 or 7x14 for under $5K, and some of the models are sub $3K (before upgrades I realize). I will keep this in mind.......
  7. Oakleaf landscape

Oakleaf landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Here's the website I ordered my Haulmark from.

Good company to work with. They got me a great deal on my 8.5x20 haulmark. It was custom built as well. You need to create an account and then you can sorta build your own trailer.

I created a 7x14 tandem axle Kodiak Enclosed trailer for you. Tandem 3500lb axles. Price was $4,261. You could probably talk them down to 4k. They have Haulmark, Featherlite, and Wells cargo on that site. And they also have all the options to pick from as well.
  8. grasscutter24

grasscutter24 LawnSite Member

Oakleaf and Dependable,

What size trailer do you guys have? I am also in the process of looking for an enclosed trailer. I am not sure if 8.5 wide would be a pain in the butt driving all day or if I should go a little smaller with the width. Also, thinking a 24ft. long so that I can fit 3 zero turns and a wb. Interested in hearing what you guys have to say! thanks
  9. grasscutter24

grasscutter24 LawnSite Member

What made you go with Haulmark vs. Wells Cargo? Just curious because I have priced both out and Haulmark seems to be a lot cheaper. Trying to decide what I am going to do. How do you like yours so far?
  10. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I'm not one of those two guys but I will chime in.

We use a Pace 8.5X20. The extra width is nice inside but as you mentioned it can be a bit much driving all day, especially on some of the narrow back roads we have.

My next trailer will be 8' wide, I would even like to go 7' but that might be too small.

We carry 2 ztr's and the 20' works good for that.