Help selecting residential walk-behind

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by cbuxton5200, Apr 2, 2007.

1. cbuxton5200

cbuxton5200 LawnSite Member

Hi all...I've been using a John Deere 14SB for 12+ years and it has been great. I'm in the process of moving to a new home with a 3/4 acre lot. I am afraid that my 21" mower is going to be too small to mow this efficiently each week! I would like to stay away from the MTD type lawn tractors for quality reasons as well as the amount of space it's going to take in my garage. In my dream world I would like the Quick 36, but for a residential mower, $2100 is a lot of money. I have been doing some looking for a used machine, but there don't seem to be a whole lot on the market in central Iowa. Sears makes (or possibly just rebrands) a 33" walk behind: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Lawn+Mowers&pid=07188933000
    Is this a mower that is sufficient for my size lawn? Would the quality of cut be comparable to a basic lawn tractor? Any other ideas on what I should consider? Thanks

2. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

I think that Sears deal is made by MTD/Cub Cadet, because they have one in their line like it: http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_14101_162710_43275_-1

Just a suggestion here - wht about an Exmark Metro Commercial 26? I think those run about $1,450.00. At least, that's what the Exmark dealer here sells those for. It's a slightly smaller width with the 26" cut as opposed to the 33", but you get a better built machine and a better built engine too with the Kawasaki FJ180V.

Or, if a 33" - 36" is what you're looking for, maybe also consider the Billy Goat finish mower?

3. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

From one homeowner to another, follow your dream and go for the Quick 36.

4. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

That $2100 will last a life time....MTD and crapsman stuff will not last ...you can but one machine now that will produce year in and year out with just basic care or you can buy new ones over and over due to poor quality ....Besides ...I doubt Sears has better customer service than BOP . IMHO I would think that a yard that size would be your baby and you would want to make it look as nice as possible with the least effort ......

5. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

That's my opinion too. I don't know how long the grass-mowing season is in Iowa, but if you were to pay someone else to mow and assuming an LCO would visit your 3/4 acre lot about 40 times a year for about 50 bucks for each lawn trim, it seems to me that you would amortize that $2100 in about a year, certainly after two years.

6. goodgame

goodgame LawnSite Member

I used to sell Craftsman mowers going through college... they don't actually make anything, it is all made for them by other companies. American Yard Products made a lot of their stuff back then, I think they still do. Some of their higher end garden tractors were ok, most everything else was junk... but it usually cut good while it lasted :)

7. cbuxton5200

cbuxton5200 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the heads up on some of this. I will have to check out what pricing is for the Billy Goat, it does appear to be quite a bit beefier looking than the Cub/Sears model (deeper deck, thicker, stronger engine). The Metro 26 looks interesting, but is only 5" wider than my current mower. I wonder how long that is going to take to mow a 3/4 acre lot vs. the 33" machines?

8. leejp

leejp LawnSite Member

Actually the quick 36 $2200~2250 when Freight + pickup is considered.

Quite a few folks here have had good luck with Red Hawk/Bradley WBs. A 36" Hydro could be had for well under $2K. The belt maybe for less.

Check out these posts/flame wars...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=179487&highlight=bradley
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=103362&highlight=bradley

I can see why the professionals might be wary of these. But for a homeowner with a 3/4 acre property it may be just the right machine. Keep in mind the Quick 36 is a 13HP briggs (vs a 15HP Kohler for the Red Hawk).