HELP!!! Sick Ramp

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by SuperBGuy, Feb 24, 2009.

1. SuperBGuy

SuperBGuy LawnSite Member

What have you guys/gals done to increase the traction on you wooden trailer ramp surface. I have seen diamond plate, grip tape which seems that is would wear of and tear easily, and bed liner painted on? Any sweet ideas. What if I just covered in in glue and spread sand all over it??
    Jeff

2. MnGreen

MnGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Construction company next door has light duty steel mesh bolted to the center 2/3 of their ramps on the enclosed trailers ramps. They do snow removal so it works good I would imagine. Looks like they are sprayed with rhino liner or bed treatment as well.

3. wellbuilt

wellbuilt LawnSite Senior Member

You could use dura back its a paint on non skid with rubber chunks in it .
    I screwed 1" x1/2" x 10" steel cleats on my ramps and they work good for rubber track s and skid steer . If i have to load a pavement roller i lay a long strip of rubber backed door mat on the ramp . The mats work good for steel track also and stop the wood from getting beet up.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Older gent in town has a home made wooden ramp on his trailer and this is what he has done.....check your local truckstop or trucking terminals for some used mud flaps from tractor trailers and screw them down to the ramp ....most auto parts stores....Napa - car quest has them new also and they arent very exspensive

5. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

Diamond plate could work but if it gets wet i can see that being slippery as well. As someone mentioned before some steel mesh or something similar to that with some holes it it should work great.

DBF

6. Truck_Stuff

Truck_Stuff Inactive

7. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Roof shingles work well too. Or paint and sprikle sand on the wet paint.

8. SuperBGuy

SuperBGuy LawnSite Member

I am running a United 18' enclosed trailer. I like ideas! The mowers dont really have a problem getting up when its wet. My crew however slip and slide so I am more concerned about them getting hurt. Thanks to all
    Jeff

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  9. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with this guy...That Dia. Plt Is way too slippery

The steel mesh...called expanded metal...It comes In many sizes May work ok for you...I would nail It down with fencing nails...Or lag screws and washers:weightlifter:....

10. IdealLawnCare

IdealLawnCare LawnSite Member

How about a rubber mat for a truck bed.