Help....so many spreaders to choose from!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by nitro121, Sep 11, 2007.

1. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm breaking in to aeration w/ seed and fert packages. Is there really that big of a difference in spreaders???;) The one I was looking at is the Lesco...broadcast/drop spreader. Why?....I don't know, it just seems like a 2 in 1 deal....will I actually need to use the drop spreader part....probably not. 90% of my customers don't have sidewalks or little areas that need seed/fert with out throwing the stuff everywhere.

So in your experience....is the 400 dollar machine better than the 200. Northern tools and my local dealers have all different priced models and it's driving me nuts. :dizzy:

Thanks.
    Gary

2. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

there are many threads on this subject, do a search and i promise alot of views and real world knowledge will come up!

personally i use a lesco, if this ever wears out i would go with a anderson's 2000

3. nitro121

surprisingly, I didn't get much after searching. Oh well, I'm sure they are all about the same.

4. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

look at the plain lesco rotary with a deflector sheild for sidewalks(you need to dail the rate down when using the sheild)

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have an eartway 2150 spreader. I bought it this year and cant complain at all. I think I payed a bit over $200 for it.

6. nitro121

I looked up earthway online and can get it delivered for around $160 bucks....much better than the 455 dollar lesco thing I was looking at.

7. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Hi Gary -------- Unless you use spreaders a whole lot, I'd buy a cheap broadcast spreader. We use LESCO & the new Spyker 88's (very pricey) -- all have deflector shields. I like Northern Tool ---- it's a "guy's paradise". :waving:

9. scalpit77

scalpit77 LawnSite Member

I bought the 100lb capacity Earthway and I've been very pleased so far. 164.99+tax:)

10. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

if your going into seeding, then i'd advise buying two spreaders. a rotory spreader for fert, and a drop spreader for seeding. if you over seed, then you can get away using a rotory. but if you plan on doing a renovation or have a lawn with alot of bare spots, then use a drop spreader, thats what there good for. thr rotory spreaders do not distribute the seed very evenly, the seed is to light. i use the anderson sr2000 for a rotory, and the lesco 32" drop spreader.