Help solve my billing dilemma

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by roget, Sep 8, 2004.

1. roget

roget LawnSite Member
    from texas

I am a first year solo operator who mowed/trimmed etc. my first and only commercial account, a local business who for the last three months, on a handshake/no contract deal paid me $500 dollars plus tax for weekly work that took me between 6-7 hours to finish. Last week in the middle of the job my friend and contact person at this business told me he had bad news. I was to stop right now, pack up because the big boss found someone to do the job for $500 a month! Just last week another boss was praising me for my work and my dependability so I know it was not about a job done poorly. So my dilemma is: do I final bill them for half ($250) that I finished that day or do I bill the $500 I was verbally contracted to do since I had no other work planned? Also, would you politely confront the big boss decision maker and get him to tell you eye to eye why he made this new agreement? (which of course was less money) I'm frustrated because this is two grand out of the family budget without warning or notice.

2. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

If you have no out of pocket expenses (mulch,shrubs,etc) bill the $250 and chalk this up to a learning experience, we all have done it before. Most commercial accounts only look at the bottom line. Good luck.

3. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Bill for the whole 500.00

When I take my daughter to the sitter,and she dosn't go on Friday I still have to pay for that day. It's not the sitters fault my daughter did not show.

You have planned on your money for the day,it's not your fault you were told to stop.

Don't try to be a good guy now,they don't care,charge the whole day.

Signed Contract !!!! Signed Contract !!!! Signed Contract !!!!undefined

4. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would bill for the full amount. If you would have known in advance, you could and will schedule another customer in their time slot. They don't need to know if that was possible for you or not. Don't cry poor or wine and himhaw around or comprimise. Tell them that is just the way it is. Your probably not going to get it but go for the full amount. If they ask you how much you have invested in the project at this point, tell them the full amount. The reason they gave you is probably not the truth. Don't cry about it to them, just get what you can and move on. Your concern now must be to fill the void ($).

5. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

What happened?...........From $500.00 a week to $500.00 a month. Can't blame the big boss for being a good manager and saving the company $1500.00 a month. 15 hundred dollars is a huge gap. Are you over pricing or did you get undercut that bad.

How much work was involved? What equipment are you using? 7 hours of mowing is a very large place by most standards.

Who would take a job at a rate of 17.50 pmh. Can't pay help and fuel at that rate.

I'd bill the whole amount and figure out why i got dropped.