Help!! Soot on deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Royalslover, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

I've been getting a bunch of soot on my Great Dane deck. It started a couple of days ago. Could it possibly be too much oil?
    It's dry and it's getting everywhere. Any suggestions?

2. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

If its dry, its not oil. Its more than likely belts fraying and leaving "soot" on your deck. Try "Belt Dressing" works A++ for me, not to mention belts get better grip too.

3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Just try tightening them.

4. mpflood

mpflood LawnSite Member

When that happens to me i find a pulley freezin up
    Remove the blade belt and see if all pulleys rotate freely

5. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Been mowing around any fire pits?

6. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be any thing in the above posts, could also be oil. Depends on when you see it and where it's at. Clean current stain off and watch closely for new to appear = mystery solved.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

could be the spark plugs need change, the carb is getting too much gas, too much choke. If you are talking about coming from muffler.

I guess that I would have to see a picture to see exactly what you are talking about.

8. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Is it black soot??? or a browny, rust color. If it is the latter, than it is from a rust fungus on the lawns. I get the same thing happening usually this time of year.

9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I got that last week on one property only. I had doubles on the TTHP (gator over high lift) just to help suck up the brown stringy grasses, it was under little load other than turning the blades as it hadn't grown much. Has not happened since. Oh I took off doubles because it rained a ton so the grass won't be laying over anymore. But I cut several tall lawns with the doubles and no problems? I did see some signs in the cut that made me think the belt was slipping alittle if i went too fast. I cut with it yesterday after going back to singles and no signs of slippage. I will pop off the cover and see what I can see. It was tight last time i checked.

Oh this was black soot, mainly on the front right areas of the deck and deck cover and caster wheel arm. Kind of like if it was in the primary area you get blowout with OCDC closed. Hmm. maybe I ran over something powder like that got blown out the front of the deck? I don't think so but it might be a possibility.

10. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

It could definitely be rust . I was mowing one last week. I was like, wow, what is this powder collecting on the casters and deck? Rust was it.