Help! Spreading gravel on driveway...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by A1 Grass, Nov 15, 2002.

1. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer who wants pea-gravel spread on a (6000sq.ft.?) driveway. Has anyone done this? I will be using the help of 1 or 2 people... is it do-able or are we stupid to do it by hand?

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ever heard of a slinger truck? Its a rock truck with a high speed conveyor out the back, like a cement truck. It can distribute the load back and forth. All you would have to do is rake out the high spots. two hours and you are gone. Unless you are just looking for something for your guys to do.

Mark

3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Slinger truck

golfslng.jpg

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

If you could get a slinger truck, that would work. Is it worth renting equipment for? If they'd let you, get a tractor with a decent sized rear blade, or a Bobcat if you're good with one. I've never graded with a Bobcat so I don't know how well one would grade with a bucket, but if you had the grader attachment, that would be perfect.

5. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

On the final grade, you could make a drag out of a peice of stiff metal fencing, like the stuff with 2-4" squares. Bend it a little, maybe add weight, and drag it behind your lawn mower. Ive done it at my freinds house with a quad to bring the gravel up, and regrade it all. It looks nice when your done.

6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say it would be stupid to do it by hand. I'm guessing you're gonna need like 40 or 50 tons of stone. That's a lot of stone to push around by hand. I have the trucker gate-spread the stone, then back blade with the front end loader on my tractor.

7. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

around here you can rent a skid loader for $100.00 for 4 hours . im sure it is probly pretty much the same where you are at

8. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Why Pea-Gravel? I've never done drive way work but I wouldn't think pea gravel would be the best choice if it's going to driven on. Or is it just me?

9. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. I know that if this is what your customer wants, you really need to give it to him, but I gotta say, I hate pea gravel for drives. It looks nice from a distance, but it never "settles in." It stays loose forever. It gets spread over into areas where you don't want it. I've got it my own driveway. It was there when I moved in and I really don't like it at all.

10. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

We use a Kubota with a york rake attachment when spreading 3/4" gravel over existing drives. Don't know if it would work with pea gravel though. Costs only $120 for 4 hours to rent, and you don't need all those man hours.

Mike