Help Starting My Own Fert & Squirt

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Green Dreams, May 5, 2004.

1. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Greetings All...

I am glad I found this board. I enjoy the posts and the points of view from different regions. I am starting up from scratch. I would appreciate advice from all of you that have been here, done that. My questions are...

A) Software? I want to have a 7 app program and do one app every 6 weeks. I'd like software that automatically makes a customer "pop up" when it has been 6 weeks since the last app. If it is quarterly customer, I'd like it to come up 3 months after last app.

B) Literature? My wife says to just go to Office Depot. They do it all and they are cheap. Does anyone disagree with that? I need cards, envelopes, invoices and inserts.

C) Refrigerator Magnets? I'd like to slide 2 cards, a magnet and a "expires soon" insert. Can someone tell me the best place they have found for magnets?

D) Advertising? I'd like to know what worked for you. Direct mail? Has anyone tried "pinpoint TV", using cable to advertise in certain parts of town?

E) Everything else I am not thinking of....

2. Hello, and welcome to the green industry.

Many of the questions you asked are asked and answered many times over in this forum, use the search function to find those threads.

But here are some answers based on my company.

A) I use the Microsoft Office package (Word, Access, Mappoint) in a combined application to do all my invoice generation, billing, receivables/payables and other administrative chores. I went this route since Access is very customizable and I found an Database design company to build it for me for less what I would spend on a high end program like Q-xpress. And I have more flexibility and power then what you find in those programs. I even have barcode and palm features that exceed what is offered by RealGreen and Q-xpress.

B) Shop around for your printing and literature needs, don't go to one place only. When you find some good people, keep shopping to find a better price. Don't forget to look online for things like business cards or brochure's, you can find very competitive prices there.

C) I have never used fridge magnets.

D) I market my company with flyers, yellowpages, newspaper ads, and a large graphic on my service van. My van practically is a rolling billboard. I also target neighbors of my existing customers for marketing by leaving them flyers with coupons and other incentives. Getting two customers with one stop is very profitable.

E) What you are not thinking of... Get your website up and running!!!
    I find that prospects that get my marketing check me out on the web before they contact me for a quote. It is like having a brochure availably 24/7 for anyone to see if they want to learn more about you, while they are making up their mind to call or not.

And finally, do not low ball your work. If you price your work "just to pay the bills" then you will only pay the bills and not make money. Don't sell your service short and underbid. Let the scrubs do the low margin work.

Email me if you like with more questions, I will be happy to help.
  3. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I am working on getting up and running. I like your site, too. I also plan on a do-it-yourselfers page. I think that helps in the long run...
  4. Someone sent me email and for some reason, I am not allowed to reply back to that email address.

So "armor.rona@******.com" I am trying to send you a reply but your network keep kicking it back to me. Please try to send more mail to me via another account.