Lawn Care Forum banner

HELP! Stihl BG86 blower has little to no power.

12K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Patriot Services 
#1 ·
Got out my one year old Stihl BG86 blower this weekend to do leaf job. Runs sluggish with little power. Sounds about half power. Never use ethanol in it. Checked air filter and plug. What should I look for on it? Thanks!

#5 ·
If your running cheap oil on the rich side you might want to step to something better before the port or muffler carbons up.
Posted via Mobile Device
+1 A clogged screen is a sign of carbon deposits. They're not just ending up on the screen.

BTW, you can clean the screen with a metal wire brush, but the best method is to use a propane torch and heat it until it glows. The carbon burns right off.

#6 ·
Well, gentemens, it's been my experience with 2cycle Stihls, that way more often than not, the cyl exh. port is pretty clean,( never ran into a clogged muffler) while the screens are choked up/clogged.
Howsomever, the same can't be said of most other brands. A lot of em' have catalysts in the mufflers, whereas Stihls didn't/don't.

#7 ·
This model is used hard ONLY with Stihl oil. Small engine guy told me do NOT remove the screens. The carbon will shorten life of engine. ???? Why wouldn't it just exit the exhaust with out screen in place? Any cleaned and replaced it. Runs like new.

#8 ·
This model is used hard ONLY with Stihl oil. Small engine guy told me do NOT remove the screens. The carbon will shorten life of engine. ???? Why wouldn't it just exit the exhaust with out screen in place? Any cleaned and replaced it. Runs like new.
Yer "small engine guy" don't know chit from shinola ! Trust me, more importantly trust yer own instincts/knowledge !
You can safely remove the screens with absolutely no ill effects.
The screens are there to supress any stray sparks so as not to burn down any bambi habitats. Some localities, municipalities/ federal lands, parks etc require spark arrestors. Most don't. There may be some babble about emissions tampering, but...

#10 ·
Yer "small engine guy" don't know chit from shinola ! Trust me, more importantly trust yer own instincts/knowledge !
You can safely remove the screens with absolutely no ill effects.
The screens are there to supress any stray sparks so as not to burn down any bambi habitats. Some localities, municipalities/ federal lands, parks etc require spark arrestors. Most don't. There may be some babble about emissions tampering, but...
Thats is what I thought. Not my small engine guy thank God. If the screen was there to trap carbon not to ruin engine why would the carbon NOT exit the exhaust without screen. Didn't make sense to me either. Oh well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.