Help, strange problem...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TaylorLawn, Dec 21, 2002.

1. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

I run my business with SCAGs, but we also carry a John Deere LT155 with a baggger for some small yards, and to help clean-up if the mulchers just did not leave a pleasing look......The other day whle putting the JD back on the trailer, I could not turn it off!! I pulled the spark plug and went home to investigate.

I have done just about everything, changed the relays, the neutral safety, even the ignition switch....I still can not turn it off using the switch....I assume I must have a bad wire...but I dont know, anyone ever encountered this???? Thanks, Eric

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

on most engines 2 wires come from under the flywheel 1 charging wire the other kill wire. on some the kill wire plugs into the coil under the flywheel. it could have came off. that's onething you could check.

3. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Also - check the two wires that lead into the key switch. If the ground has come loose this will do it too.

4. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

Thanks, I did check those wires when I changed the ignition switch, seemed to be in working order....Eric

J&R,

How intricate is the process you were referring too. ie--taking the housing off to locate etc...Eric

5. olfrt

olfrt LawnSite Member

The kawasaki engine has a white wire that kills the engine and usually 2 black wires that run up under the sheet metal.

the white wire is the kill wire.

1. if the white wire is disconnectd at (bullet connector covered in plastic as a general rule) connector the engine will not kill

2. if the white wire is connected then disconnect it with the engine running and touch the engine side wire end to ground.

a. if the engine dies then the problem is in the wiring harness of the tractor.

b. if the engine does not die then the problem is in the coil or the short wire running to the coil is broken/disconnected.

Once you determine which side of the harness the problem is on then you can start working on locating the problem. This process of elemenation will generaly shorten this task