1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help - Sunk mower in fishpond

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by azureky, Apr 5, 2005.

1. azureky

azureky LawnSite Member

I recently bought a used John Deere HD75 just to mow my yard. Had never used a hydro before. I made one pass around the yard, trying the controls out. I tried edging my large, deep goldfish pond and got too close. It started in and I wasn't familiar enough with the controls to stop it. It sank in about 3 1/2 feet of water. The water covered most of the mower, but I don't believe it got to the air breather. I managed to extract it with a tractor.

Now it won't start. There does not appear to be any water in the oil. Although the engine turns over, as far as I can tell, it's not getting a spark to the plug. How badly have I damaged it? Any suggestions? Will it start once it drys out?

Obviously, I'm no professional and I feel pretty stupid. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
  2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Let it dry out for a day or two and dont ever do that again.
  3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

hey , sorry to hear that. Start by draining the gas tank and let it dry out completely. Take the hose from the gas tank to the carb off and if there is a fuel filter or pump replace it. Drain the oil and see if there is any water in it and if there is try to let it air out as well. Check to see if u have spark to the plug by taking it out and putting it against the engine and turning the motor over. If there is no spark then your magnetos will probably be no good. I am not an expert mechanic but i have fixed problems like this before. try some of these things and some of the other guys here may have some other advice....good luck let us know how it turns out.
  4. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

Is the fuel shut off in the open position? Are you using the choke? When I first got my HD75 I would forget these all the time.
  5. Sclark72584

Sclark72584 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Let the mower dry out for a couple of days, and if that doesn't work then take apart the deck and rebuild the engine.
  6. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Let the mower dry out for a while, take the spark plug out spray some starting fluid on the plug and in the hole and try to start it. Damn, thats the next wb mower I wanted to get and here you dump your $6000 mower in a koi pond.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Hope the fish are ok...drain all fluids and replace. Replace filters and spark plugs. Then try. And stay away from water.
  8. greenwithenvylandscape

greenwithenvylandscape LawnSite Member

If the weather is warm point a fan at it for an hour with the plug out anr the air filter out or dry things out with a hair dryer. Turn the motor over with the plug out and see if water comes out. If it does dry it out with the hair dryer. I have had 5 mowers go in ponds under the direction of dedicated employees and all the mowers are still working everyday unlike the employees. lol
  9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

also be sure to check the hydro tank for water, would be a shame to save the engine and then damage the hydro system
  10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Next time, have High-IQ Wheaties for breakfast instead.