Help Switched motors on Exmark, can't shut off new 1

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luckylawnboy, Nov 22, 2000.

1. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 14 hp kaw. FC420V and pulled it off and put on a 17hp FH500V twin. Every thing went great, Except I can't get it to shut off. It is supposed to shut down when you pull the throttel sp All the way down, and choke is all the way up. There is a Black wire on the side off the engine I don't know what it goes to. I guessing it has something to do with kill the motor. I tried to touch it to the block, but no effect . The motor is a pull start. The only way I can get it to shut off is to turn the fuel off, and let it run out. It takes 5 min though . I am going to have to drive down the road with my mower running on the trailer. lol

do I need a kill switch, and if so what kind. Will a simple toggle switch work.

Oh yea the new twin seems to be much smoother and quiter. Haven't used it yet so don't know about how much more power it has.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, the black wire should be attached to the same wire that killed your 14. If your 14 didn't have a kill switch then you can install a toggle switch.

The toggle switch will have 2 poles or 2 wires. 1 side attaches (it doesn't matter which side you use) to the black wire coming out of the engine and the other side should be attached to an engine bolt that comes directly out of the block.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

LLB--it seems like your exmark should have a manual blade engager lever. there is supposed to be a safety switch on the lever so that if the blades are engaged and you turn loose of the operator presence handles, the unit will die.

what you do to kill the engine is just tip the handle enough to trip the safety switch but not enough to spin the blades (without pressing the operator presence handles).

if your machine isn't set up this way, you need to be real careful!

BY THE WAY--I thought the 17 hp doubles were all electric start, but I guess not. I don't really want an electric start because they are heavier and the battery is a maintainance item after a couple of years.

how much did the 17 run you? I might consider the same thing with the ole lesco 14/48. I replaced my belt pulleys and the thing is running great now. but with all the trash cuts I have, I can always use more power!

GEO

4. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

My 17 Kaw is a pull start. It has a key on the side to turn it off and on. Maybe this is why you can't turn it off?? The key just turns it on, then you have to pull it. My 15 turns off by way of the throttle lever. Ask your dealer what you should do, but I agree with Richard Martin, you should get a toggle switchor a key to turn it on and off.

5. Richard Martin

geogunn wrote:

<b><i>how much did the 17 run you?</b></i>

I just put a 17 Kawi twin on my 50" GRAVEly and it makes a huge difference over the 14 Kawi that came off. I got mine from http://www.alamia.com for $795.00 including shipping. Warranty work is handled on these by any authorized Kawasaki dealer and not just commercial mower outlets.

As a side note to this I took the 14 Kawi that I took off to my local repair shop just to get it pulled apart and checked out before I put it on my 36" Exmark. They said the bearings were all nice and tight but when they pulled the pulled the piston out the rings were trashed. They asked me how many hours were on the engine and I told them around 500 to 600. They then told me the rings may have been messed up when the engine was brand new.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

iF THE RINGS WERE BAD IT WOULD USE OIL
    BAD AND OR THE COMPRESSION WOULD HAVE POOR.
    iF THE RINGS WERE BAD PERFORMANCE WOULD
    HAVE BEEN BAD ALSO.jUST MINE TM

7. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have two turf tracers. One with a 15 kohler the other a 17 Kaw. I didn't replace one with the other.

8. Richard Martin

AWM wrote:

<b><i>iF THE RINGS WERE BAD IT WOULD USE OIL BAD AND OR THE COMPRESSION WOULD HAVE POOR</b></i>

The only indication that there could be a problem was oil on the air filter pre cleaner (foam wrap). I have been told that it is difficult at best to do a compression test on a single cylinder engine with an automatic compression release.

I have never had to add oil to this engine. If the rings were bad from the factory then a performance loss would not have been noticed. A friend of mine who has the exact same mower/engine combo used my mower once and he said that it didn't seem to have as much power as his. Now I know why.

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

cutter--is your 17 a single or double? thanks.

GEO

10. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

I had a 14 hp kaw. FC420V and pulled it off and put on a 17hp FH500V twin. its a twin i belive.