Help the New guy decide on a walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NEUSWEDE, Mar 1, 2005.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

This is the first year I will be solo running my own business. I have mowed before for a couple of companies running a Grasshopper Z and Lesco walk behind fixed deck belt drive. I am going to buy a walk behind mower soon can justify a ride on Z yet, I know I want a hydro drive and a deck of 48" or 52". I am looking at Exmark, Toro and Scag they offer the best support in my area. I am leaning towards the Exmark Lazer HP.

Here is where I need the help, should I go with fixed deck or Floating deck on a walk behind? I know the floating decks are better to contour the lawn being mowed. In my first year should I spend the extra to get the flaoting deck?

Thanks in advance, any advice, opinions or experinces are welcome and appreciated

2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with the float. I got one of the new Lesco H/D float deck. Nice machine. If you can afford a H/D get it. and the sulky. Makes a world of difference.

3. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

ExMark 52" HP(float deck) WB with a sulkey.

We have tried the rest,,,,settled for the best .... :cool2:

4. Classic Lawn

Classic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the floating deck but if u looking to save some money and cause its ur first year go with the fixed deck. one other thing i would go with the scag over the EX- mark u cant grees the blade spindles on the ex-mark when they get hot they suck in the water if the grass is wet and ruins the barrings. i replaced all the spindles on my boss after the first year he had it i have had my scag for three years and no problem. i love the scag wouldnt buy anything else

5. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

eXmark 48" floating TTHP.

6. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

Since it is your first year I'd go fixed deck and save yourself some money to buy other good quality equipment.

I'd also stick to Toro and Scag since they offer the best dealer support. That will become very important down the road.

Best of luck to you.