Help! toro z question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brandon, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Brandon

Brandon LawnSite Member

I just bought a 44" 17hp toro z master today. When i picked it up today from the dealer everything seemed fine. But, when i was unloading it off my trailer several things happened:

1. when i took it out of neutral it jumped and started going forward without moving the arms. I believe this is because the neutral position is a little off.

2.When i tried to go in reverse it moved very slowly and the control arms got stuck.

3.it was not responding well to the steering, it almost felt like i had to force the control arms forward or back. They were hard to move.

Is there a way to adjust this or do i need to take it back to my dealer and have them fix it. Thanks for the help.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Take It Back To the dealer! And Get One Of These

smaller 664.jpg

3. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Brandon,
    Just take it back to the dealer for a quick and easy adjustment. Sometimes they tighten the control sticks a little to tight and it will react like what you described. If it is having speed or sluggish problems, perhaps they could check the hydraulics as well. Even on the "other" red z's, it can happen.

Mike

4. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Brandon, same thing happened to me when I got my 52" Encore Pro Line. Look at the hydro trans. drive on each wheel- there SHOULD be a little lever on them (sometimes a bolt or something) that you can select between "Neutural" which bypasses hydro fluid so you can push the unit without the engine started, and if you push it the other way, you get Normal operation. On mine, I had it in neutural, and you could drive a little bit, but not as fast though.

5. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Heres a pic of mine

hydro adjustment levers.jpg

6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

i have the same mower and never had those problems with mine. take it back to the dealer for an adjustment since it is under warranty hopefully.

7. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the Z is assembled at the factory. The dealer just slaps on stuff that wouldn't lend itself to a shipping crate. Nonetheless the dealer is responsible for initial adjsutments. Get it back to the dealer and have him do his job. Once you mess with it you may give him an excuse to charge you to fix what you did. Exmark Toro; Toro Exmark. The trail all leads back to Toro. thats why they are both red.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The Exmark I took out for a demo was in need of a serious adjustment too. Neutral was in the same place for both sides but one stick had to be pushed way farther out to keep up with the other side and track straight.

I don't think Toro/Exmark makes many final adjustments at the factory. It's probably intended to be a dealer prep thing. I'd just take it back. You never really know what it might be until you get into it. I'd just let the dealer deal with it.

You know, you'd think they would have noticed that when they preped the machine and loaded it for you.

9. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Hopefully you have not attempted a fix of your own, take the machine back to the dealer and explain the problem. Odds are the dealer is ramping up for a busy year and let the new guy assemble your machine. Do Not jump on the dealer yet, give him a chance to straighten this out, in fact a call to the dealer explaining the problem will probably facilitate any repair.
    BobR