help. tran belt falls off exmark

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by MowForReal, Sep 5, 2001.

1. MowForReal

MowForReal LawnSite Member

I have gear drive exmark. The drive belt that connects the engine to the transmission keeps popping off. I put on a brand new belt (and adjusted the tension), yet it still jumped off the pulleys. I notice that the pulley under the transmission seems loose and it wobbles a bit, so this is most likely the problem. However, I don't know how to tighten this pulley. Has anyone had this problem or know how to solve it? Thanks for your help.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know if you have done so yet or not, but I would certainly pose this question on the Exmark topic here. They will be happy to help.;)

3. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

If it uses a peerless trans,there are 2 set screws on the pulley that may be tighten if loose,also there is a snap ring at the bottom that holds it even when you tighten the screws,It would not surprise me that the pulley key slot is worn and that is your problem,also if it is like the bobcats there is belt guides that help keep the belt on

4. It seems to me that you answered you own question. Get a new pully. belts are not suposed to wobble that's why it keeps comming off.

LGF:blob1:

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mowforreal,

Sorry it's taken so long to respond. It sounds like the Lawngodfather may be right. The pulley would be the first place to start. You will also want to check to make sure the input shaft of the transmission is not loose as well. Every once in a while we'll get a call and somebody has over tensioned the belt and damaged the transmission.

The correct belt tension for that belt is 1/2" of deflection at 3 lbs. of pull on the belt. To put it simple it doesn't take that much belt tension on most walk behind mowers. Do you have a Metro or a Viking 5 spd?

Thank you

Terry

6. Dave

from RI

Not to miss judge you exmark ,as we all know the Lawngodfather is a moderator,and he made have some pull,but I feel my post to this question was a good as if not better than his,and was not even metioned. I feel why should anyone of us try to help another landscaper out if our posts are skipped over.my reply I typed covers all that could go wrong with the pulley as with the belts,as I have seen loose allen screws to missing belt guides.His reply metions that the pulley is no good because belts are not suppose to wobble.belts wobble for a lot of reason besides having a bad trans pulley

7. Dave

from RI

This is the second reply I have made to this post in the last 20 min,my appology if the first got lost,or was it deleted on purpose,To Mr Exmark why isn,t my reply sufficent compared to The LawnGodfather,as I feel I have covered more than what he did in response to this problem,and that my post wasn't even mentioned,and I feel that anyone of them problems I metioned could contribute to this problem .I realize that the Lawngodfather is a moderator to this forum ,but you did not even show any desire to mention that my possible soulutions to this problem might be correct .

8. Dave I was adding to your without typing or quoting it. But was making it easy for him, just replace the pully, Yes. Your post was good I read it before I posted mine. I have had the same problem before, It's just easier to replace the pully for him. I am not any different than you.

9. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Dave,

Point well taken. Unfortuneately we get in a hurry and we sometimes have things fall through the cracks.

Thank you

Terry

10. Dave keep in mind this is a forum and no one can solve all problems on it. That would be like a machanic fixing cars on line, with the person on the key boad typing in an explanation of what wrong and the machanic magically telling them how to fix it. NOT. Lighten up dude!

Personaly I could have cared less if they used my name or yours. It doesn't even matter. The point is DID THE GUY WITH THE PROBLEM FIX HIS MOWER?