help! tranny going out in NPR..

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DavisLawn, Nov 7, 2007.

1. DavisLawn

DavisLawn LawnSite Member

Im in north alabama.... anybody had this problem ... recommend rebuilding it or buying a used one...and where is a good place to find a used one if thats the way to go???TIA.

and another question about rumors around.... what are the requirements of driving one... meaning.... i've been hearing from some that you have to have a CDL license to drive one ....some say you dont... any imput is appreciated.

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

your going to have to tell us more about the truck your talking about

3. DavisLawn

im sorry.... its a 94 model NPR....automatic with push button overdrive... 4 cyl diesel

4. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I bet you would need a health card at least. What is the gross weight rating of the truck? GVWR and / or GCWR. Do you pull a trailer?

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

hate to say it but the older npr's eat through trannys like its their job. i had a 94 npr box truck many years ago, and i couldent keep a tranny in to save my life, i tried everything rebuilt/new,used,everything, the truck went through like 7 trannys before we gave up on it, the truck was being used to haul potato chips, was a chip vendor, so its not like the loads were exceding the trucks specs, it was just potato chips for christs sakes.

6. DavisLawn

10800 or something like that..

7. DavisLawn

i cant afford to give up on it yet.... although i dont wanna spend a couple thousand every so often for a tranny... i can just buy another truck for about 8-10k

8. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

my buddy owns a transmission shop an he told me he rebuilt one a few years back an the bill was 4500 bucks,, yikes !

9. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

There is a place in Alabama called Alabama Wholesale Brokers that deals in these trucks. The owners name is Mark and he is very knowledgable and helpful with these trucks. He might have a tranny to sell you. He might know of some tricks to get more life out of them. Here is the website.

http://www.awbtrucksales.com/

10. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

got to be more than that my F350 is 11500