Help transplanting these trees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fishin LCO, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Fishin LCO

Fishin LCO LawnSite Member
    from NC

I need some advice in transplanting these pine tree. 1. Can they be transplanted? 2. When is the best time of year to transplant them? 3 Best methode to use? Any help would be truely appreciated.

thanks CC

2. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

looks like a tought one......have fun :laugh:
  3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I transplanted pines that were 12' tall and 7" stumps by digging them out by hand. The soil was pretty loose and fairly moist. When I planted them I buried a soaker hose around the tree about the drip line and put them on a timer. They have been in the new location now for almost 3 years and are doing good. Originally the customer didn't care if they survived or not they just wanted a quick privacy fence from the neighbours for a big party. The neighbours didn't get along very well and seeing as they were both about 300 lbs and liked to use the hot tub nude the trees were cheap. I bought the trees from a christmas tree farm and moved them about 30 miles. It was about the end of August when I moved them.
  4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

You are not going to have much luck with those. Not enough room to get a decent root ball. I have tried many in the past similiar to that with limited success. Besides....for that size tree I could sell the client a new one for what I would charge to move that one. If you are set on moving them wait until late winter/early spring....when most of the northeasters are done.