1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help-TruGreen Chemlawn Burnt My Lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Wil22, May 18, 2005.

1. Wil22

Wil22 LawnSite Member

TrueGreen made avisit to my lawn recently and put down a product called,

L2BF 17-0-5, barricade4fl, triplet sf Temperature 65

I have long yellow streaks in my lawn. I called and they said you burnt my lawn. He said we couldn't have burnt your lawn we stop putting down liquid fertilizer a few weeks ago. We are only putting down a dry fertilizer.

Then he looked at his notes and said oh I thought we put down a dry fertilizer. Well I did notice your lawn looked stressed the last time I was there.
    It's probably brown spots, do you know what that is?

They were supposed to come on Monday or Tuesday this week, but no one came by. So I called again and they said I will come with my manager in the morning?

I have several big sections of my lawn that looks yellow. My question is
    "Is there anything I can asked them to do in the morning to correct the situation". I don't want them to come and tell me simply it's brown spots, it will go away.

Also did they wait too late to apply the above product?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Cha!!! Call them and tell them to take you off their list! That would be the most effective thing you could do for the benefit of your lawn.
    You are just another one who has been duped. Don't feel bad, though. They canvas the nation for unknowing victims like you. If you want a lawn care service, hire a lawn care service. Not some marketing company that pretends to be. Do a search on here, and youo will read up and down the pitfalls of the literal JUNK they put on lawns. Turf management, believe it or not, IS a science...just ask any Golf course superintendent, greenskeeper, or anyone who is in the business seriously, and is knowledgable.
    Here's another idea. Do a Google search and type in trugreen complaints (or chemlawn). They don't call them scamlawn for nothing. It's funny...there are services around here who are competitively priced, and do rather decent programs..."competition", if you will. Tru-brown isn't even in the running. They are a whole different calibur, not even CLOSE to proper care.
  3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know about the product, but if you have long yellow streaks, was the lawn striped? You mention later it's in spots so I really don't know what to go on. The lawn looks stressed is them trying to save their asses. Take Runners advice and cancel before they charge you for anything else.
  4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

:rolleyes: Chemlawn :rolleyes:
  5. Wil22

Wil22 LawnSite Member

On one section it's a long strip about 12 ft long that's yellow, that section borders my neighbors yard and part of his lawn is burnt.

On the other side of the driveway it's big yellow section of the lawn that's burnt, yellow. I called them in because I don't have my licsense to spray yet and I don't need any exam to spray my own lawn. My lawn was full of oinion grass, dandellions and a few other weeds. They was doing a treatment next door and I said how much to do my lawn.

He eye balled it and gave me a price and sprayed my lawn.

After the first treatment it turned dark green and looked very good.
    I know what brown spots are. They simply burnt my lawn.

I agree it's time to do more re-search on Lawnsite and kick TruYellow to the curb.
  6. GrowinGreeninc

GrowinGreeninc LawnSite Member

Where in nc are you? If you are in the triad I would be glad to look at it for n/c. If they used barricade 4l it had to be a liquid app. Brown patch does not appear in streaks by the way.
  7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Call them again and they'll probably blame it on the lawn mowing guy....
  8. If it is possible, can you post some pictures of your lawn damage?
  9. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

It sounds like double applicating parts of the lawn, yellowing stripes? That has to be it. With them pushing max N rates to begin with, imagine double slapping a few areas in the heat. Does it look like the width of a sprayer/spreader? If so, flush it before more damage occurs.
  10. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed, if they OD'ed on the Nitrogen, the best thing you can do is water the heck out of it, watch it grow like crazy, and eventually the spots will come back and turn green.

I have one customer that uses a drop spreader and fert's her own yard. I quoted her a price earlier in the year, and she figured she can do it cheaper herself I guess. She has burn spots all over her yard now from her latest fert app. lol. She did the same thing last year too. I'm not sure how many more times she will keep it up until she decides to let me do it.