1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help TURF - have some fun

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimK, Feb 15, 2001.

1. JimK

JimK TURF MAGAZINE Publisher

Hey folks, this is Jim Kendrick @ TURF Magazine. I got a kick out of the posts commenting on the lawnsite thread I published in the February issue ... and it gave me an idea of how to solve a problem.

See, I'm kinda bored with the cover photos we use for TURF. Great shots from great companies ... but they all start to blend together after a while. So the idea is this: I'd like to get photos from you folks -- in the field -- and use 'em on the cover.

What am I looking for? First, no j-pegs. These files won't reproduce well. I needs photos or slides or high resolution scans if you're equipped to do them. Contents? First off, the shot should be vertical (the shape of the magazine) with some sky or something at the top to allow for the logo, ok? Other content? I'm open to most anything -- your crew at work ... something funny -- the worst job you've seen ... the best job you've done ... biggest screwup? Whatever. Let's make TURF more fun for all of us. Photos with people (or a person) in them are #1 on my list. Just let me know at jkendrick@turfmagazine.com (or at my desk at jkendrick@mrpllc.com). Or, give me a shout at 800-422-7147.

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Just to confirm, can you accept any computer format photo such as a .tiff file or do we need to mail something?
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Hi Jim,
    I just came from my library :) where I was reading the article in Turf and I come back to this post. So will a digital at 1 megapixel be high enough resolution for this? I have some 35mm pictures I will look through and see if they are taken in the right way to fit your magazine. I think they are all taken the wide way to get more lawn in them. If a picture is scanned, at what resolution do you want it or would you rather have the photo itself? I'm just trying to ask further questions that might be asked.
  4. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Jim, what a great idea!

I can envision a cover photo of a Lazer turned over at the bottom of a hill or buried in mud...about to slide into a pond etc....

The cover story in that issue could be about safety, proper mowing, mowing under unusual or severe conditons.

That's innovative as heck. Brilliant!
  5. JimK

Jim at TURF here.

Eric (and others) regarding the format for these cover photos? Basically this: unless you have a professional level digital camera ($10,000 worth), the resolution won't work. What gives us the BEST opportunity for quality is the simple slide or transparency ... or photo print. Don't worry if the shot is horizontal ... as long as it has good lighting and good focus -- we can work with it. The only place we have trouble is with digital files. How big does a digital photo need to be to work? Well, how about 4800 pixels x 6400 pixels -- that's huge! We don't even have a scanner that is appropriate. You could e-mail me a low resolution shot to preview -- that would be easy. Then, if it is useable, I will give you my FedX number to ship it off to me no my tab. Or just send 'em in! And Eric ... rush them right along. I have issues waiting right now for cover photos. Thanks.
  6. JimK

Hey Turfquip ... I'd LOVE to see that one. Don't even need the story ... a picture is better than 1,000 words ... and we'd all like to see Lazer in action!
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Jim, I sent a couple of pictures that I have scanned from 35mm, but it might not be what you are looking for. I will keep the 35mm camera in the truck this summer. It will be neat to see some pictures from Lawnsite members on the cover. :)
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Great idea Jim. I'll start looking for some pictures. It would be great to see people that fall into a catagory more like the majority of us. Not the huge multi-million companies always.
  9. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

How about a picture of a Lazer pulling a broken down chopper. :)

[Edited by Mid Rivers on 02-15-2001 at 03:05 PM]
  10. JimK

We haven't heard from Lazer yet. From what you're telling me, he must have lots of photos of his adventures. Anyone else out there with photos I might use on the cover of TURF Magazine? I'm not looking for award winning photography ... more importantly, I'm looking for the "real stuff" ... the "real people" -- how 'bout the smartest or most ferocious or ugliest or best looking crew in America? Whatever, thanks again.