HELP-Two tone grass??? Newly seeded lawn.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mikesturf, May 6, 2005.

1. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Last fall (early September) I slit seeded (50% Kentucky Bluegrass, 30% Rye and 20% Creeping fescue) a very nice lawn in the Chicago area. One month after slit seeding I noticed that the lawn had large blotchy spots of different colored grass patches growing. All of the grass blades look great, no diseases, no grubs, no thatch, etc. Now this spring, the lawn looks terrible! Most of the lawn is a nice deep green color, however there are large areas of ulgy bright lime green grass. I fertilized the whole lawn with a broadcast spreader (no striping). Other lawns that I have slit seeded last fall turned out great this spring. HELP, I just don't get it. My supplier does know either.

I cannot post the pictures because the photo file size it too large. If anyone wants me to email them some pictures, send me your email address.
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

3. 1MajorTom

Here are Mike's pictures.. First one......

4. 1MajorTom

Second one.........

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The second one looks like a big patch of Rye. It's hard to say without seeing the blades of it. If it is like a pure Rye, it will do that. It is very possible that this was like this out of the bag and into the hopper. The Blue seed is so much of a finer consistency. My suggestion would be to slit some straight Bluegrass into it.
  6. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

One of the misconceptions regarding blends is the percentage. Remember that is percentage by weight, not seed count. Example a 90/10 fescue-blue is actual a 50/50 by seed count.

You also have to consider seeds are different sizes and weights. That means they will settle in the bag at different levels and in the the seed hopper. When I seed with a premixed blend I usually remix in a clean trash can, that can help reduce the effect were seeing in these pictures.

To help correct, decide which seed you wish to be dominate and reseed using that variety. It might reduce the effect without having to go to the trouble of Rounding UP the yard and starting fresh.

Just one thought I'm sure theres others.

THEKNEEBITER LawnSite Member
    from MASS

I am in MA and have the same problem. I dethached a nice lawn deep and overseeded with a high quality blue and trirye mix a couple of seasons back. the first spring i noticed a patch of the lime color grass and figured it would clear out. now 3 seasons later the lime patches grew three times the size and are popping up all over. The blades look nice and if the whole lawn was this color it woulnt be so bad but with it two toned it looks bad. Any other ideas on what to do about this ?
  8. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen this in many lawns the last 2 years and they were not re-seeded. They were drought damaged in 2003 and I think it is a grass that got carried in to the lawn. It is horrible!
  9. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Could those be patches of Annual Bluegrass. It tends to be light green.
  10. lush&green

lush&green LawnSite Member

I am guessing Annual Bluegrass patch but also looks like it needs fert? Was there any starter applied or other?