HELP! - Unauthorized pre-m application and need to reseed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kaig2, May 10, 2006.

1. kaig2

kaig2 LawnSite Member
    from Lee, NH

I'm just a customer, but a lawn service messed up (for all I can tell), and I wonder what can reasonably be expected to fix the situation.

Our neighbors' lawn service mistakenly treated my lawn instead of my neighbors'. I know it was just a mistake, but I might as well put it as: they entered my property without authorization and spread chemicals I didn't order or want.

Well, they checked the "needs overseeding" box on the slip (hey, at least I didn't have to pay for it), but spread "25-0-3 Fertilizer with crabgrass control (Barricade .29%, 4lbs/1000 sq ft). Now for all I can tell, overseeding isn't possible for the next couple of months, but my lawn was newly seeded too late last year, most of it didn't make it, and I was planning to reseed it soon. I surely don't want to be left with this all summer:

[​IMG]

For one thing, how could they apply a pre-m for a lawn which so obviously needs over-/reseeding???

But more importantly, what can be done about it now, and what can I reasonably expect them to do? I suppose laying sod on top of the pre-m'ed soil should work, but then I strongly doubt the lawn service would pay for that to make up for their mistake (and I'm not going to pay for that, either). But in my opinion, they messed it up, they need to do something about it -- what?

2. kappa915

kappa915 LawnSite Member

I've never personally had any exprience with this, but I have read other people saying that aerating will break the pre-emerge barrier. From the looks of it I would aerate the p!ss out of it and try to seed then.

I could be wrong though, I have also heard people say that aeration will not break the pre-emerge barrier.

I'm sure plenty of people will respond.

As far as why would they apply pre-emerge when a yard needs to be seeded so bad? I would respond by saying, " it really comes down to two evils"

The best time to seed is going to be is in the fall, and without a pre-emerge now you will be fighting grassy weeds until then. Bad infestations of grassy weeds will "choke" out healthy grass anyway. So the thinking is prevent the crabgrass and seed in the fall. Seeding now leaves it possible for the grassy weeds to kill out new seedlings and more established grass.

But I'm not familiar with practices in N.H.

Just my two cents.

Adam

3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Call the company that made the chemical application and ask them what they are willing to do. They should be insured for this type of accident. If your not satisfied with what they offer contact a lawyer and hope for the best. You might be able to get the insurance company to sod the whole lawn.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

here is my contribution to lawnsite for the day: i picked up a bunch of clients who used to have blank blank chemlawn. without notification, they applied barricade. the lawns were in horendous shape, and crabgrass was the least of thier worries. i needed to reseed these lawns, but the barricade was applied without notification. i made a quick call to my buddy ric in florida, and he told me that power raking at a deep setting would break the chemical barrier and allow me to reseed. and so, i did. grass started growing within 5 days.

5. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Yea, I would except Bobby's method if I was you but make sure you have a stipulation that you get a good germination rate before signing off on their mistake.

You should offer to pay what ever it would have cost you to do the original seed job. Say if you were going to go out and but X # of seed then you should pay that much toward their cost for the seed. If you were going to pay or rent equipment for prep work then you should pay that amount too. But don't offer anything above and beyond what you originally going to pay.

Or if you were going to hire this service out in the first place then just hire them with the exception that if the seed doesn't germinate after following their instructions of after care that they should make good on another solution until you get some kind of decent germination or sod.

Another ***** that you have is that they killed any chance of the fall seeding from germinating this spring. This happens a lot with fall seeding were as the seed that didn't germinate will sit over winter and germinate in the spring.

6. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of grass did you plant last year?

7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Serves you right for not calling me to begin with...;)

barricade is a very good crabgrass control. That being said it may be possible to aerate and have a very deep dethatching done and then reseed. You should, however, expect a lower seedling survival rate than you could expect had no crabgrass control been applied.

www.iwantgreengrass.com

8. kaig2

kaig2 LawnSite Member
    from Lee, NH

I wish I knew -- the builder had this hydroseeded with I don't know what. I'm planning to overseed with some KBG/creeping fescue/perennial rye grass mix. If anyone is curious, I can take a close-up of my neighbors' grass (which was seeded a month earlier and came up well) and you can try to id it ;)

9. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Barricade is junk. Seed at will.

Seriously.....I'd bet you get the same results. Cuz you know it went down at 2 per 1000 in the first place with a lawn like that they woulda been a skippin and a jumpin.

Second....slit seed that lawn. Dont do it any other way. Unless you have some hydorseed options but with existing turf (such as it is) slopes....looks like the last seed effort got poor results.

Slit seed it and dont worry about the 1/2 rate junk someone claims to have applied.

Diagonal passes now....:) X marks the spot.

10. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Oh....and cut a brother a break and leave your attorney and heavy hand out of it.

We've all treated the wrong lawn before.