Help W/35HP Briggs Vanguard

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Model = 613177 Type 0114E1 Code 051226122
    I need a thermostat and seal and it isn't in the Scag Parts Manual.
    I also want to remove the starter......I can't even see the mt. bolts and looks like I will have to peel a lot of stuff off. Kinda wanta get starter cleaned.

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That was fast but it indicates I have to call on the thermostat:dizzy:Wonder what that means? I got a good notion to pull that thermostat out and see what the temp would run.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Ha ! They want you to call so they don't scare you off their site by showing the price......

This one is likely cheaper; http://www.amazon.com/BRIGGS-AND-STRATTON-841491-THERMOSTAT/dp/B005F6OSZC

I wouldn't suggest removing the thermo, Believe it or not it restricts flow even when fully open. Running without one can cause overheating from coolant flowing too fast through the radiator......

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks......I send in a note to amazon to see if gasket is included. Or can I just add some red gasket maker to the old gasket? This unit does have a temp sending unit and I guess that could be bad. The symptom I was seeing was the temp would go up close to redzone then drop back all of a sudden so I concluded it was thermostat.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The part number I punched in at Amazon includes the gasket, Briggs doesn't list the thermo without......

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Was looking for radiator number for vanguard....searched and here it is
    Thanks dutch

8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

What I would do is pull the thermostat, then run to your nearest NAPA with the old thermostat and see if they can match you up one...
    Would help if you knew the temperature setting but worst case scenario I'd get a 160-degree.

Cost you under $15, and get the gasket as well.

9. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I left the thermostat out for the last year and unit was running cooler. Yesterday I put gattor blades on and went for a test run. The unit ran hotter than with worn scag blades but it was 100F. I had to stop about ever 30 minutes and blow it out. So what can I do? Flush radiator?