Help w/ 75 sq ft seeding price

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

A new small residential has a big dirt patch on their front lawn that is roughly 75 square feet. The dirt patch is because the previous owner of the house looks like they always took the shortest path from the driveway to the front door and thus chopped off a corner of the lawn. (not caused by bugs)

So, it's time to put down about 75 square foot of seed. The ground is packed solid/ hard, do I know I'll have to rough up the surface some before putting down the seed. I do have a tiller that I can use to drag over the surface to get the rock-hard dirt turned up a bit. I could also buy some top soil and spread it out pretty thin, since the dirt level is the same level as the surrounding grass, so I wouldn't want the new grass to be a 'hill' on the lawn.

How much would you guys charge for that kind of job? I'll be buying the seed and starter fertilizer, customer will be doing the watering.

Thanks

2. Commander

Commander Banned

I just did a job like this today. What I did was; I took a pick and broke up the surface, I removed the grass / weeds that were able to grow, then I went over it with the tiller. Before I tilled the clods up I dumped a whole load of peat moss on the area as well as some slow release organic fert. I really liked the results that I got. Just gotta wait and see what kind of germination I get.

3. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

About how many square feet did you re-work? How long did you take you to pick-axe it, re-till the surface, put down the peat moss and then put down the seed?

Did you use a rotary or a drop spreader or one of those little hand-jobs that you turn a crank and it all falls out nicely?

What brand of seed did you use, I would need a sun mix or at the very least a shade/sun mix.

Also, how much did you charge? Or price per square foot? You can email me at

doogiegh@optonline.net if you prefer not to talk rate in public forum.

Thanks for any help!

4. handres1978

handres1978 LawnSite Member

maybe 400 ???