1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help w. BID Please!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RickR1818, Aug 16, 2007.

1. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys,

Here is the deal. This is my first season and I have a commercial account that I maintain that is relatively small in size. There is a large warehouse next door that I am bidding on. The guy in charge wants me to bid this job along with his neighborhood common areas ( He is homeowner assoc pres.) and his house which is approx an acre. He states that he may also be able to get me 6 or 7 residents from his neighborhood which are all an acre.
    First of all I need some advice on the warehouse. Here are the details:
    -76,000 sq ft of Turf
    -3,122 sq ft of mulch beds that he wants weeded on as needed basis
    -38 bushes that need to be trimmed as needed
    - approx 2257 linear ft of areas that need trimmed/ edged (includes retention pond that needs edged where mower cant reach.)
    It took me 25 minutes to walk the outer realm of property with a measuring wheel at a walking pace.

Any help or info would be much appreciated. I will have the info on the neighborhood and residential houses by Sat.

Thanks in advance,

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

hay rick:

what ya wanna remember is YOUR cost, dont fall into the trap of "I need a bid on this one and I can get ya more" dont be surprised if the more never comes, HOA's are cheep, I mean VERY cheep.

you know what type of equiptment you have and how long it takes you do cut, trim and such, also if you have a helper or not,

this sounds like the typical, give me a bid on this one, with the propspect of more work...

take your time and bid it as if it's the only one..

Good luck
  3. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, He is having me bid on everything and said it could be I get one or the other or both. Most HOA's are cheap but this is an exclusive neighborhood where the homes range from 350-900K. The problem is that I just have me and another guy and the guy who does it now has a crew of 5 and he is done in an hour. I am figuring around 2.5 -3 hours for me and another guy. I also feel that we would be more detailed though. Like i said his property backs up to one I already do and this crew cuts corners behind the building and such. Frankly, it makes my customers look worse and I am not going to do someone elses work. Would you think that $325 a cut is too much for this property? That is what I am coming up with but this is my first large comm bid.
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

hay Rick:

No Not at all that sounds like a good estimate, hope you figured in everything. I know I have ate crow on a few.

talking about hoa's I service 1 area that the Cheep homes are a million plus.
    the HOA was taking bids for the common ground. " around the pick nic area and the entrance" they wanted it done biweekly,
    I shot them a price of 250.00. they flipped....seems one of the HOA's kids were doing it for 30 and 35.00 they thought that was a good price.
    well I nearly flipped.

anyway. on propteries like this "yours" ya wanna watch. what sometimes will happen is if its bidded too high the owner will hire a guy full time and keep him there.

But that suonds like a good starting price, and remember that will try to get ya to come down, most of them anyway.

be sure to look at all the bushes, they can be a pain sometimes..

Good Luck