help w/buying commerical walk-behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kohls Landscaping Co, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

Hi. I am looking to purchase a larger walk-behind mower as i expand my lawns. I currently have a 32" Toro walk-behind and am looking at: 52" Toro, 52" SCAG, and the 48" Gravely (i'm looking at the belt driven models). I'm wondering if you have had any experience with these mowers and which you feel would be best. I currently am cutting 15 residential yards a week which are all just a little under an acre. Thanks for the help!!
  2. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I would get a toro or exmark. I currently run toros but I have been testing the exmarks alot and I will prolly buy the 48 hydro next year. but thats just me
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Demo them in the grass at your properties. See what you like the best. Do a search on each type your considering here and see what people like and dislike about those machines. The more education about the subject the better your long term happiness will be with the mower.
  4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

And it wouldn't hurt to look at the 49" Hustler Hydro with full floating deck, at around $4,500 (more or "less")...........
  5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I would strongly suggest going hydro. The extra expense is worth the better performance, less fatigue and higher productivity
  6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. Hydro is the best I have ever owned. I bought a used one for about $500- (48")

Just look for a used one with low hours.

Good luck.:)
  7. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

How do you jump a curb with this unit??? Stick with the Toro, if quality of cut, service friendlness, parts availability means anything to you
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Why would climbing a curb be a problem. Just back up to the curb on a angle.
  9. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

You can't do that on all curbs. The reason I ask, Hustler uses a twist throttle type of control - theres no way to push down on the handles to jump a curb - just asking
  10. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You can back over the curb or you can drive on it going forward and push down on the H-Bar.

Are you saying that the Hustler does not have a quality cut ? or its not service friendly or parts availability is not good ?
    I am confused ?
    The Hustler is everything the Toro is and (or) more.......
    Is this something you have experienced first hand, Hustler VS Toro ? do you personaly own and use both ??
    Just wondering