Help W Commercial Fertilizer Pricing

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by chrisandlace, Mar 30, 2007.

1. chrisandlace

chrisandlace LawnSite Member
    from toronto

I Dont Know How To Price A Job With 50 Acres Of Turf To Fertilize With Granular Fert, With Mandatory Use Of Walk Behind Spreader. This Fifty Acres Is Spread Throughout A City, Having Each Property Represent 1 Acre Roughly.
    How Do I Price This? By The Acre, By The Job, Or Time? Please Help. You Thoughts Are Much Appreciated.
    Chris Of Toronto
  2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

By the acre. Figure your cost plus desired profit margin. I would get $165 an acre for that. If it were 50 straight acres in one, two, maybe even three locations and I could use my Z-spray, I'd go $110 an acre. But that's just me.
  3. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

A bid for the typical Texas city in my area works like this: You are notified of a bid meeting. At the meeting a line item would come up. 50 acre fert job: $xxxxx.xx. The city will put their maximum dollar amount they are willing to pay. It is now up to the bidders to determine how much we will bleed to get the job. Bidding in reverse. How much less are you willing to do it than your competitor. I walked out of my first meeting, told the official "He could kiss my ..... Take my name off the list."

Check to see if you city runs the same scam before you invest too much time in the bid.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Drive the route and estimate driving time. Suppose you can do 2000 sqft per minute (or 22 min per acre)--find out how long an acre takes after allowing for refills of spreader--say 44 minutes. Multiply the time by your labor rate--say 2 dollars per minute. Add your cost of fertilizer.
  5. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

was 2000 sqft a min just an example? I'm wondering how you do 2000 sqft a min walking?
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Push the spreader 3 miles per hour. Apply 8 feet wide. You will cover over 2000 sq ft per minute. Of course in 6 minutes you will probably have to walk back to the truck to refill. This takes several more minutes.
  7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Sounds about right to me too.