Help w/ deck pulley

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by JHE, Oct 14, 2007.

1. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

I feel like I am screwed but hopefully one of you can help. I purchased a Z with 60" deck and 25 Kawi three years ago as a home owner. The unit has exactly 113 hours on it. Cut the grass today and cleaned the unit up. As I am cleaning I see one of the deck pulleys (the 6.00") has it's center completely worn out. You really do not expect to see this at 113 hours but I am thinking no big deal a new pulley can't be that much! So I Take the pulley off and discover that the broken pulley wore out the mounting bracket on the deck - that round piece of metal that is welded to the deck all pretty and powder coated. Now the simple pulley replacement becomes a huge problem. Even if I get a new pulley I cannot mount it on the worn out nub. I guess I am going to have to pull the deck, grind that piece off, and have someone weld a new one on? Does anyone have a repair for this problem and have any idea where I can get the piece that is wleded to the deck. Help please - the grass has not quite finished growing here in DE and I don't feel like hearing it from the old lady who was not too happy about my Hustler purchase in the first place. The faster I get this fixed the less crap I am going to have to hear about it!!! Hustler reps - is ther any support you can provide? Thank you!
  2. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

Cmon folks - I cannot be the first person to have this problem! Help*trucewhiteflag*
  3. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

It does not appear that anyone was willing or able to weigh in on this (which is dissapointing) but I came up with a repair that I think may work. Thanks to anyone who was atleast thinking about it!
  4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I am thinking about it, I have a Super Z with nuts and bolts holding the deck pulleys in place. Please explain, or make a picture of the problem, my pulleys are 6 1/2" across, if you aren't able to make a good picture then describe the pulley giving the problem standing directly in front of the deck.

They changed to heavier bearings in those pulleys because of problems they had with them.
  5. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

For immediate response go to the Hustler forum and post the same message. PJ will answer it in a timely matter.