Help w/turning pond into rock garden

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by aubuchon, Apr 24, 2005.

1. aubuchon

aubuchon LawnSite Member

We had a pond /waterfall that was enough trouble with leaks that we are going to turn it into a rock garden with a self contained fountain. My problem is what to fill the pool with. We cut the liner out (it's about 6ft x 6ft and 4.5 ft deep). It's pretty much non-absorbing clay beneath. Our sprinkler system will hit the pool and between the rain and the sprinkler it (the pool) being empty has about filled up in a couple of weeks. I'm afraid that if i fill it with dirt with a layer of rocks on top to set a fountain that it will turn into a mudhole shortly. If i fill it with gravel/rock it will do the same (fill w/water that is). I would like to somehow keep water from going down there but don't have any ideas. Thanks for any ideas.

2. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Where is Fairfield in relation to San Diego? Why not just extend a few drains in to the zone where you are filling the pond up? That way when water flows into the area, it will be relieved and the sub soil will remain dry....

3. aubuchon

aubuchon LawnSite Member

[]Where is Fairfield in relation to San Diego? Why not just extend a few drains in to the zone where you are filling the pond up? That way when water flows into the area, it will be relieved and the sub soil will remain dr]

we are about 4 hours north of San Diego. hopefully i'm not intruding into a forum where i'm not supposed to be but we are just homeowners with not much expertise. we just want to bring the pool area up to ground level, make it flat, and put a fountain on top. hopefully keeping the filled pool from turning into a problem from the sprinkler water and rain. btw, thanks for the reply, we appreciate any input.