1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

help.......walker or rider

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rjmj, May 27, 2003.

1. rjmj

rjmj LawnSite Member
    from mn

i have about 12 lawns that i mow weekly on the side of my full time job. i currently use a 2002 JD sabre with a 17hp/42in deck home owner machine. i would like to up grade to get things done a little faster. last week i demo'd a hustler fastack ztr and i got things done in a lot less time. it seems like a good ztr for 12 lawns but i am also considering a 48" gravely walk behind(but i have never tryed a walk behind. none of my propertys have small gates to worry about. is it a pain to make 180 turns with a gear driven walk behind? will the walk behind get me done as fast? 2 of the lawns are pretty big and take me about 2 1/2 hrs to do. is there anything else i should consider?
  2. rjmj

rjmj LawnSite Member
    from mn

please give me your opinion:blob3:
  3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Walk behind all the way. Much more agile, easier on the backside.
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Lazer HP 52 23 Kohler.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I started almost exactly like you with a Toro garden tractor. Same deck size,motor, number of customers. But I had no access to Lawnsite as it was not around in 1995.

I did those lawns the hard way until I tried a Walker. I cut my time in half and my fatigue was cut 100%. By dumb luck I initially got a bone of a motor on my first Walker, not their fault it was a Kohler 25. I had to get a backup so I bought a Toro 44" hydro w/15hp Kohler.

The Toro is great for wet grass or to use as a second mower. It is slower than the Walker. I know because when the 25 broke down, all I had was the Toro. It got the jobs done but it was slower in the fact that what took me 6 hours then took me about 8.5. A garden tractor took me about 10 to 12.

Now the Walker isn't for everyone but it has a front line place for my properties. It is by no means a 10MPH Exmark but it isn't a tractor either.
    I suggest contacting dealers and demoing some more units on your properties but in the end I would absolutely recommend a riding ZTR of whatever make fits the properties that you do. It is an absolute necessity for my operation. There is a difference between riding and standing behind a mower all day. It can be done but if you can sit, why stand. Good Luck
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

How big are the properties? Do you want to expand the business?

If the average property is 1/2 acre or less and you wouldn't mind expanding a bit then I would say walk behind with a sulky (ride on attachment, you stand on it) but if you have properties that are 1/2 acre and larger and definately want to expand then I would say the ZTR as your fatigue goes down and productivity goes up compared to the w/b. A walk behind is a good machine for the money but if your properties are 1/2 acre and up, then a 36" walk behind for instance won't be much of an improvement over your tractor, but with a sulky you would see some decrease in time spent. With a 48" walk behind you would cut some time just walking but with a sulky you'd probably see your time cut by 30% or so? With a 52" and sulky you would probably see a 50% cut? I used to use a 32" rear engine rider (homeowner) and one half acre property took me maybe 45 minutes to an hour with it just to mow (no trimming) then when I got a 52" walk behind and sulky, it only took 25-30 minutes or so and fatigue was way down (the little rider had a rough ride and I was burning alot of time turning around as it wasn't hydro like your tractor probably is, but I had it down to a fast shift!) then I got a 61" rider (not a mid deck ZTR but an outfront) and I'm only taking 15 minutes to mow that one property! Just mowing only. That is a half acre property so you can picture on a larger property the 61" would really make a huge difference over the walk behind, but the walk behind was alot better than what i had before. If you have alot of slopes/ditches/banks/hills, etc. then a walk behind may be for you. If they aren't terribly steep then a rider might take them. An outfront rider like mine generally is better on hills than a mid mount ZTR as they sit lower and are better balanced for that type of work. If you get a walk behind and sulky I'd recommend a hydro not a belt/gear drive. They do alot better on slopes/ditches/banks/hills etc. and pull a sulky alot better than a belt drive.

Sorry that got long! But I hope it may have helped you somehow...

7. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

with only 12 properties i would go for a good w/b, later if you decide to expand you'll need a good w/b anyway. a w/b or a z either one is going to increase your efficiency over a lawn tractor considerably.
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I'll challege you on any hill. My 757 against your STHM. How many mid-mounts have you ran? :rolleyes:
  9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I will accept the challenge. I have run enough to know that they are not going to beat my STHM that is for sure. I have had a JD M655 54" and a Toro Z153 52" on hills, both did better than I thought but my STHM will still be king of the hill. I'm tired of everyone on LS thinking that just cause I'm 16 that I haven't run any equipment other than what I own.:rolleyes:
  10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

You will lose miserably---STHM can go (dare I say it) down hills and change direction in the process