Help wanted question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gene $immons, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I am considering running an ad in the newspaper.

Has anyone ever asked that the applicant must have his own truck which will be used for some of the jobs?

Good idea?

Bad idea?

Insurance issues?
  2. gwwilson

gwwilson LawnSite Member

gene baby,
    you must be kidding. use another man's truck?????
    purchase a used pick up..............

if, you can't afford to purchase your own trucks. you better closeup shop.
  3. Gene $immons

Thanks for the input Mr. 3 posts.

Money is fine here.
  4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Legit question. When hiring people for flyers, they use their own vehicle. At least with me they do. So I can see them also using them on jobs as well, but, like stated, insurance will be something to consider and talk over with your lawyer or insurance guy, or both.
  5. Gene $immons

To add a little more info:

I'm looking to do a ton of Christmas lighting this year and the other big trucks are being used on leaf clean up.

I was looking for a guy whth a pickup mostly for carrying the decorating equiptment, ladders etc..

Just an idea - I guess I could find a used truck, but I would rather pay someone extra to use their own, since it will only be used for a few months.
  6. gwwilson

gwwilson LawnSite Member

accounts payable person were my wife works. got rear ended about 50 miles from work. guess what happened. she put insurance claim with her company. company refused to pay her.
    her hired lawyer ......
    guess what company had to pay claim.
  7. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't want the extra truck around for the entire year I would go to a rent a wreck type of place and rent the extra truck. They take care of maintenance, taxes, insurance, we can rent a pickup around here for 4 to 5 hundred per month. Makes a lot more sense than risking legal hassles with the employee pickup. And what do you do for transportation for the rest of the lighting crew if the guy with the truck quits or calls in sick or late. IMO just a big hassle waiting to happen, we won't let employees use any of their own equipment, only extreme situation will we let them drive their vehicle to a job site.
  8. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Obviousl employee vs contractor issues....Possible to go either way.

If you are taking out an ad the indication would be an employee. I have seen many ads for "maintenance person with own truck". As you said just pay them extra for the use, standard mileage rate would a starting point- just like the millions of employees who use their personal vehicles to do job related travel.

Cover the bases before with a written agreement for what will be paid including his liability for speeding & accidents.

Issues might be can he use your ladders, equip, and stuff after hours to hang his, freinds and families, and others for $.

Paying them extra seems much better than buying a used rig for a couple months of need.
  9. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that it can be much more of a hassle than any thing else. Insurance is a big deal. Also if you pride yourself on good looking equipment and a professional company image, you need to consider what kind of truck this person is going to have. If this is just a laborer using his personal truck for work I doubt that he is going to have the greatest truck. I think it makes more sense to ether buy a good used truck or rent one for the season until you have a good idea if you need a truck or not. We have had our guys use their own vehicles for caring stuff now and then but never for an extended period of time. We have never run into problems but if they had gotten in an accident it would have come out of our pockets and not our insurance. There are lot of things to consider and like others have suggested, if you are set on doing this get your attorney's and insurance peoples advice first.
  10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you really want to live with your neck on the chopping block and the blade pin is being held in place by someone that you hired with a newspaper ad?:eek:

You may get away with it forever, maybe not. Personally wouldn't do it for liability reasons.