Help Weed/Grass ID

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1grnlwn, Jun 29, 2002.

1. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Found this today, not sure what it is. Turf is bluegrass about 4 yrs old. 1st year for treatments. Preemergence w/fert, weed and feed, and just applied grub w/fert. Turf has been cut from 1.5 to 2.5" I reset both mowers at 3" and gave the lecture. It appears to root at the nodes and was growing horizontally. Any Ideas?

Mark

weed11.jpg

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Another view.

weed22.jpg

3. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

Looks like it is St. Augustine or either Centipeed. Great grass covers fast.
    Later

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

could it be bermuda? looks like it to me.

I hate that stuff! all of my customers have it to some degree and when it's about 3.5 inches tall it's hard to get a clean cut.

I know, I know! bermuda is supposed to be cut lower but I aint talking about bermuda lawns. these are fescue with snaggly, knarley, thatchey, bermuda in them!

GEO

5. Rodney Anderson

Rodney Anderson LawnSite Member

Zoysia Grass

6. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

1grnlwn,

I beleive that is Nimblewill. It is a similar species to Bermuda. I had this problem last year. It was growing in patches and each year the patches would get a little larger. In the spring the patches would green up 5 weeks later than the rest of the mix. The only answer was Roundup and reseed. I tried physically removing, but it came back just as strong. No selective herbacide will work since this is a member of the grass family, not a weed. It's just not a desireable grass to me.

Hope this helps.

Jeffyr