Help, Weeds driving me insane !!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by T0DD, Jun 15, 2006.

1. T0DD

T0DD LawnSite Member

This is my first post and I searched around on the forum trying to find an answer. I figured there would be no one else that could help me but the PROS !

2 summers ago, I dug up my back yard and put all new soil and hydroseeded. Everything has been good since then... until about 2 weeks ago. I started getting some weeds that have made my lawn look spotty, I've attached a picture of the spotty lawn.

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of the weeds that are growing in. I could only describe it as a "wheat" style grass or weed. Regardless, this is what's causing the the lighter green spots in my yard.

[​IMG]

If anyone can help me and tell me what I need to put on these weeds, I would greatly appreciate it. The lawn in my backyard was probably the best thing I had going for me... and now it's getting overtaken by weeds. Someone please help.

Thanks in advance.

:cry:

2. livingsoils

livingsoils LawnSite Member

It looks like Poa annua (annual Blue grass). it a winter germinating grassy weed that can take over if you are not careful. It will start to check out once it gets hot but then you will have brown patches to deal .:confused: Try some cultural controls; make sure you are mowing at least 3.5 inches, deep water ( Poa annua like short frequent waterings) and aerify as much as possible (it loves compacted soils). I don't think there is much you can do now:( but proper timing of a pre-emergent in the fall can control it for next spring.:)

3. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, that's Poa.

But INCREASE your mowing height. Poa doesn't compete well at higher levels, but will produce seed heads more if you mow lower. Bag your lawn to try to get rid of as many seedheads as possible.

With irrigation, if it must be done, do it less frequent and deep when you do. Frequent waterings will let the shallow root growth to take off.

Avoid ferts high in N and P.

But, as livingsoils said, you're pretty much done for this year. Start in with a good preemergent program for next year. Start on it this fall and put it out four times. Oct. Nov. Feb. and Mar. at 1/2 rates.

4. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

you could spray for it depending on the weather of course im not familiar with fescue all that much but i just sprayed drive 75 on my personal lawn about 2 weeks ago and it killed off all of the poa that was there along with everything else ( except the bermuda of course) but like i said im not famililar with fescue

5. T0DD

T0DD LawnSite Member

Thanks a million guys.... You are right on the money. I searched and found this link... http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/annual_bluegrass.html and that's the exact stuff I got going on.

I have a riding mower and I mow at the highest setting possible now, I always have, so I can't mow any higher than I already do. The weather in Tacoma Washington has been on and off rain for the past several weeks so I haven't had to irrigate at all at this point, mother nature has been taking care of that. I've just been using the Scotts with Weed control once a month for the past several months and everything was going great until my unwanted "Poa" buddy showed up. I was out there the other day ripping it out by hand. I have a feeling it came from the slight hill behind my house. there is lots of it up there and I have a feeling the seeds worked their way into my backyard I re-did 2 summers ago through the mowing process.

This is extremely frustrating though, this bluegrass is lighter than the dark green that I have come accustomed to and it's really made my nearly perfect grass look like doo-doo now.

I really appreciate the response guys, it means a lot that you were able to point me in the right direction. When this Poa started showing up.. it felt like someone keyed my car or something. :cry:

Thanks again for everything.