Help! We've fallen. And we can't get up.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Mar 14, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Another guy who has owned his own lawn mowing company for 18 years in my town stopped by the house the other night. He had a fist full of door hangers and business cards. All of them had the dreaded $20 price printed on them. Every last one of them.

People will stil pay $25, but if our industry doesn't pick itself up out of the gutter, and soon, consumers in our area will soon expect to pay no more than $20 to get the lawn mowed.

I have been sticking to my guns on $25 per cut and am having great success, though there are a higher percentage of people saying "Let me think about it" this year.

I am spear heading a grass roots movement in my area to raise the standards of the industry. Anyone mowing lawns in Lewisville, TX or surrounding areas is invited to join me in this effort. I can't do it alone. I need help.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

Attached Files:

2. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

You trying to start a Union or ban the Mexicans?

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Wait a minute....FIRST a year or two ago YOU blast Justmowit calling him everything in the book including a lowballer....then somebody got him to join LS and then next......YOU sucked up to him and started following in his low pricing footsteps hoping to build your business as successful as Justmowit has become.....NOW you are crying about lowballers in your area again......LOOK IN THE MIRROR DFW CAUSE YOU BROUGHT IT ON YOURSELF.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

:cool2: my thoughts exactly. If you can't change the market you have to change to the market. Efficiency is everything.

5. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read on this website. In fact, it is.

I never took you seriously before, and now I can only assume you run your business and post topics as a mere hobby, because you are certainly not a business man by any stretch of the term.

With more and more junk like this, I'm beginning to think why I even read this site anymore.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Isn't that price fixing?

7. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

Well, putting aside any previous history that he may have, this letter is nothing but an attempt to improve the industry in his area. Why blast a man who is for, and not against, improving rates in the area, and forcing his local market to pay approriate rates. I will end my post by saying that my full time job is union, thus I believe in the premis that this letter is seeded from.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Do like I do and don't drop your gate for less than $35.
    Take it or leave it.
    Thank you now.

btw, any of the following translates to a 'no'
    - we have to think about it.
    - we have other estimates
    - we will call you within so many days to let you know

I don't even play those games, if the answer is no that is good because now I can leave. That is my goal anyhow, all I want to do is give them their price, and thank you and bye because every minute spent estimating one place is another minute I am not earning money. I want in-and-out of there, whether I am working or estimating, I did not show up to chit-chat or bs around, when that crap starts up, I look at my watch and act like it's time to go (because it is).
    I don't accept drinks, I don't go in their house, I don't want to have sex with the wife, yes I may wave and say hi but do not stand around talking because talk is so much wasted time. You want me to do it? Then make up your mind, yes or no, and now. And if you can't decide, that's no problem, have a nice day.
    I'm way too busy for this 20-25 nickel and dime stuff.

You either let them play you, or you own your business.
    Which one is it going to be?

9. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

DFW's post make me wanna puke. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Suck it up dude. IF the $20 guys are your competitors, then you have bigger problems.

10. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

My response to customers who mention prices like this...

A company cannot survive year to year on low prices, they are either going to charge more for other services, or cut corners and do a terrible job. Any quality company that will be consistent, give quality, and will be there next year will not charge low prices.