Help! What critter is causing this?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Ric3077, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer with some turf damage in the back yard from a small critter...I suspect it is raccoons, but I want to see what others think. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Possible that or skunk damage. That ground is infested with grubs, by the way.

3. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have armadillos there? If so that's my guess, after the grubs like Runner said.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If a ground hog is hungry enough they will do the same thing. I had that problem with my lawn this year and it was a GH. I bet it does not happen again by that one...:laugh:

5. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never seen an armadillo here...I know he has grubs and I am trying to sell him on a curative app this year and a preventative app for next year. I guess the raccoons are trying to eat the grubs maybe? It could be a groundhog too.

6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Whatever it is, it's definitely after some a squirmy little delight.

7. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

That is a grub buffet. Grubs are high in carbs and protein. they smell and taste like almonds. many animals eat grubs but that damage is light so it would be a squirrel. A Squirrel? yes, squirrels eat grubs too. That could be a raccoon; raccoons, opossums, and skunks do eat grubs but usually do a lot more damage looking for them. Eat one; they really taste like almonds. just make sure they aven't been treated first.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's exactly what I had last year, those pics look so similar I could've sworn they were MY pics lol, but no...
    Silly thing messed up a good 5000 sq.ft. at my place, with an acre lot and more of it every so often it was frustrating.

Here's what I learned:
    You don't want to try and target the animal that's doing it because you'll likely end up targeting a lot more animals...
    Even if you find out what's doing it (I never did for sure), you can't target just a raccoon, for example.
    You would have to target rodents, and you never know what other families of the kingdom get into it, that's the problem.
    Then you might end up with all sorts of dead critters and still the one that's doing it survives...
    Instead, get rid of their source of food and they'll go looking elsewhere, that's what works.

In my case some granular insecticide from Home Depot fixed it.
    I bought this stuff called:
    Triacizide Once & Done Insect Killer, it's made by Spectracide, cost about $25 a bag.
    One bag treats 1/2 acre, put out with a broadcast spreader but read the instructions!

You have to do it, the problem may or may not go away, but the longer it stays the worse it gets!

Haven't had a problem since, but you do need to keep an eye out for the problem in case it comes back in a year...

Here's what mine used to look like, right at a year ago:

Image031.jpg

9. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

My vote is armadillos too.

10. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

my girlfriend lawn is like that. we watched a skunk do it...but we dont have armadillos in nj