Help! What to do with my crappy looking grass?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by THEoneandonlyLawnRanger, Aug 22, 2007.

1. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, I need some help, i have no idea what kind of grass this is in my yard all i know is i hate it. It is very tough, and looks awful, I live in East TN. and would like some nice plush green grass, i want to reseed my lawn but dont really know where to start. I've heard to mow as close as you can toward the fall, dethatch then rake the thatch out of the yard, then aereate and sow? What time of year should i be looking to reseed in TN? What type of grass do you think this is in my yard now i've enclosed pics, I've only owned my home for about 6 months now and i do know that it will turn brown in winter, kind of like golf course grass, but without the look of a golf course!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

yard1.jpg

yard2.jpg

yard3.jpg

yard4.jpg

yard5.jpg

2. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing between that yard and the lush yard you are looking for is some water.

3. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

exactly...
    looks like zoyia..imao

4. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

get so ironite and 33-0-0 and wait until late next week to put it down. suppose to be getting a cold front coming through labor day weekend with plenty on rain. but wait and watch the forcast first.

5. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

Well it has been Very dry here for along time now, The grass does green up but its not the grass im wanting, i would like some larger blade grass, yard is 97% in full sun so what do you think i should do about overseeding ?

6. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

The grass blades look torn on the ends. How long has it been since you sharpened your mower blades?

I also think the yard looks good with the exception of water and some fertiziler.

7. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

8. LTL

LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa

33-0-0 may be good to green it up, but you are going to want to put some potassium down. This ensures good root growth to get through the winter. 10-20-20 or something similar will green it up and give your roots some food before winter

9. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

Well i did some researching and it does seem that this grass is Zoysia grass, or at least it has the same characteristics of it. With that in mind what is the best time to dethatch Zoysia? is it good to aerate zoysia ?

10. LTL

LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa

Ideal time is spring.