help what would you do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JKOOPERS, Dec 28, 2004.

1. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a contact that has 42 jobs he wants me to bid on the only problem some off the jobs are not the the areas i service right now. it is worth about $60,000 what would you do ? there is 28 taco bells and 14 lees chicken

2. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Bid them so you make money. When you give him a total be sure to calcualte your drive time.

3. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

that's only $1,428 and change for each place? is that worth it?

4. JKOOPERS

some of them i would have to drive 30 min for them . 7 of them are out of my way .

5. JKOOPERS

almost all of them are 10 min jobs maybe 3000-5000 sq ft of turf. thenm there is bush trimmings , areation , weeds, mulch and snow plowing .

6. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Bid so you make money. That's the bottom line. I have a crew that drives 25 miles south to work. When we started there was only one job. 4 years later there are 147 residential and 18 commercial there.

When I bid that first job I made sure I made $$$. The great thing is that since that time that customer is still paying the same rate. Because he was high to start with I haven't had to raise his rates. The additional work made up the difference.

7. JKOOPERS

ok coastal heres a question for ya the jobs i have to drive out of my are you saying to charge time (hourly)from when i leave the shop to the time i get back ?

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Bigger question you said snow plowing and with those accounts it most certainly will require walks and stairs. Can you handle 42 snowplow accounts with 30 mins of driving for some and still get them done by the insane expectations that commercial property owners have. I dropped the plowing because I got sick of every one thinking they would be completely done with in 1 hour of the snow ending. That sounds like you would need 3-4 plow trucks to get that done. Places like that expect it done before they open if it stops snowing at 8 am and they all open at 10 or 11 can you see where this is going.

9. JKOOPERS

the contact that i have has 9 nine plow trucks he doesnt do lawn care

10. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Piggybacking on what Coastal said, Bid the job so you make money BUT also don't be afraid to subcontract, especially the snowplowing. You get the bid, manage the account, someone else does the work. Since they are closer, they should come in under your bid.